The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Literature > Novels, Novellas, Short Stories > Any hope for alternative Trek novels?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
I was wondering about just this very thing when they announced the alternate universe books. I mean, what if they kill off someone? Break up Spock and Uhura, etc.
I had thought very much the same thing. What if Star Trek XII begins exactly where Star Trek XI ended and gives us a cliffhanger? It would place those books in the position of the first original Star Wars novel--Splinter of the Mind's Eye--that was written in case there might not be a second Star Wars film.

I think the authors of these four books knew that there was always a slight chance that what they wrote could conflict with whatever direction Star Trek XII went in, but they tried to tell stories that would fit with what we last saw in Star Trek XI and keep that status quo.
Quote:
Perhaps after the next movie, Paramount and O&K will have a better idea about where our new Trek is going, and the books can be released before the third one.

Is Pocket going to add several more books to take the canceled books' places?
Pocket Books had to kind of scramble. Their 2010 release schedule was thrown for a loop with the cancellation of those four nuTrek books. I think they have one or two omnibuses of their original Star Trek: Starfleet Corps of Engineers e-novel series that they're going to put together and throw into that vacancy. I think the rest of the schedule will remain intact as they already had slots reserved for several late 24th-Century books, including the follow-up to last year's Star Trek: Destiny trilogy.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Lieutenant

To tell the truth, I only read TOS novels. So, that's what I hope to see published.

I guess I should try a few NG books, but none of the characters of NG really caught my fancy like those of TOS. And, I never watched the others...although I must admit that DS9 looks rather interesting.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
I was wondering about just this very thing when they announced the alternate universe books. I mean, what if they kill off someone? Break up Spock and Uhura, etc.

Perhaps after the next movie, Paramount and O&K will have a better idea about where our new Trek is going, and the books can be released before the third one.

Is Pocket going to add several more books to take the canceled books' places?

Oh well, at least we still have TOS books. I enjoyed Sorrows of the Empire set in the Mirror Universe immensely. And, Inception is on its way, too.
Yeah, I would agree on releasing more of the new Trek books along with the four that got canceled after the next movie is out. I still would love to see those books along with more of them out. Since it cant come out now because it might interfer with the movie, but they could release them after the movie has been out. I still like to read them along with more if they make them. We always see books from all the shows and older Star Trek movies, but I still would love to see some from this time peiord. Dont get me wrong all the other books from the shows and older movies are great, but I like to see some from this new reality. Anyways, I hope since those spots are open for what should've been the new Trek spot, that they put TOS in thier place. I mean they are both still part of TOS right? I love to see more TOS books come out instead of the ones set of the 24th centuery, is what we see most of the time.Dont get me wrong I love TNG which is 24th centery, but I love to see TOS more.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk And Spock #1 Fan View Post
Yeah, I would agree on releasing more of the new Trek books along with the four that got canceled after the next movie is out. I still would love to see those books along with more of them out. Since it cant come out now because it might interfer with the movie, but they could release them after the movie has been out. I still like to read them along with more if they make them. We always see books from all the shows and older Star Trek movies, but I still would love to see some from this time peiord. Dont get me wrong all the other books from the shows and older movies are great, but I like to see some from this new reality. Anyways, I hope since those spots are open for what should've been the new Trek spot, that they put TOS in thier place. I mean they are both still part of TOS right? I love to see more TOS books come out instead of the ones set of the 24th centuery, is what we see most of the time.Dont get me wrong I love TNG which is 24th centery, but I love to see TOS more.
Agreed. I just like Spock, Kirk, McCoy, and crew no matter what universe they are in. Let's hope for more novels in the future.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Agreed. I just like Spock, Kirk, McCoy, and crew no matter what universe they are in. Let's hope for more novels in the future.
Same here, I love all these charcters in the orginal timeline, but I also like them in this new timeline. So I love to see more books in the orginal timeline, and eventualy see some in the new timeline, whenever that might be.I want to see how different the new timeline of these charcters in the books are compare to what happened in the orginal. Lets only hope they decide to release these books after the sequel is released. I'm keeping my fingers crossed until then.