The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Literature > Novels, Novellas, Short Stories > Any hope for alternative Trek novels?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
UPDATE:
Pocket Books has announced that they are mothballing all novels set in the alternate universe "indefinitely" to avoid trampling on any story ideas that Abrams and the gang might have for the next film.
http://trekmovie.com/2010/01/14/pock...m-summer-2010/
Yeah, I got that news already. My question is why can you still pre-order those books on amazon.com and other books sites if the books are on hold? That news was about 3 days or so ago, and you still can pre-order those books. I thought by now if those books are on hold that there would be note saying they are canceld or something.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:52 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk And Spock #1 Fan View Post
Yeah, I got that news already.
I posted it several days ago, when most people didn't know about it.
Quote:
My question is why can you still pre-order those books on amazon.com and other books sites if the books are on hold? That news was about 3 days or so ago, and you still can pre-order those books. I thought by now if those books are on hold that there would be note saying they are canceld or something.
That's because pre-orders are handled differently from in-stock items on most sites. Pre-order items are frequently delayed by manufacturers, so they still accept orders for them until they are officially told by the manufacturers that the item is unavailable. So far, Pocket Books has simply announced the books as being "postponed," so Amazon is still accepting pre-orders for them...for now.

But don't expect these books to come out any time this year--if they come out at all. The decision to cancel these books came apparently at the last minute from somebody at Paramount and not Pocket Books (which is currently looking at having paid a lot of money for four books that might not ever see the light of day).
Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

^Okay I guess that makes more sinse.I guess I ll wait to close to that time,and see if anything changes on the site.I really don't want to waste my money and turn around and it being canceled.So I might wait to close to the orginal release date and see if anything happens,before I make desiion to buy it.I still like to buy the books whenever they decide to come out.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Fleet Admiral

I canceled my pre-orders for the four books. I doubt they'll be released, but they sure did sound fascinating.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Rear Admiral

Personally, I think Pocket Books (and Trek book fans) got screwed big time. Aside from the movie novelization (which was apparently written on fairly short notice), they really couldn't have any tie-in novels with the new movie in '09 because everything was so hush-hush and top secret about it until it was too late--Pocket Books only releases so many novels a year and had to have a publishing schedule with or without movie tie-ins.

And now that they've got four tie-ins ready to roll for '10, they're being told by Paramount "On second thought, cancel any nuTrek books until we decide what to do with the next movie."
Old 01-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

^Well,I hope they decide to release these books around after the next movie.Sinse they were already published and ready to be sent out on the release dates.I hope these books still come out if not now maybe around after the next movie.Cause maybe then it won't interfer with what will happen in movie cause the movie would've been already out.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Rear Admiral

I think it's because they might interfere with whatever might happen in the next movie that somebody at Paramount pulled the plug on them, IMO. I don't think they wanted any potential ideas that may appear in the movie to have (even by coincidence) appeared in these books first.

Whether they are released at all may depend if Abrams and the gang go all secretive again with the next movie and don't release any major plot details until just before its release. Paramount may give Pocket Books permission to publish these books once the new movie's story is finished, but there might not be room for them if they wait too long (Pocket Books is already developing its release schedule for 2011 as we speak and there are only a limited number of slots available in a given year).
Old 01-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
I think it's because they might interfere with whatever might happen in the next movie that somebody at Paramount pulled the plug on them, IMO. I don't think they wanted any potential ideas that may appear in the movie to have (even by coincidence) appeared in these books first.

Whether they are released at all may depend if Abrams and the gang go all secretive again with the next movie and don't release any major plot details until just before its release. Paramount may give Pocket Books permission to publish these books once the new movie's story is finished, but there might not be room for them if they wait too long (Pocket Books is already developing its release schedule for 2011 as we speak and there are only a limited number of slots available in a given year).
Couldn't they release the books after the new movie is in theaters? The movie won't be out until June 29th 2012.So you think they could release those books for the late summer or early fall of that year?If they can't bring the books out before then,they could do it after the movie.Cause the movie would be finnshed and the books would have no way of interfering with the movie.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk And Spock #1 Fan View Post
Couldn't they release the books after the new movie is in theaters? The movie won't be out until June 29th 2012.So you think they could release those books for the late summer or early fall of that year?If they can't bring the books out before then,they could do it after the movie.Cause the movie would be finnshed and the books would have no way of interfering with the movie.
Pocket Books doesn't have the final say in the matter. They can only publish those books if Paramount gives them the okay. Right now, Paramount is telling Pocket Books don't publish them and hasn't given any indication of when (or if) they eventually can.

We'll have to just wait and see what happens as 2012 approaches...
Old 01-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Lieutenant

I was wondering about just this very thing when they announced the alternate universe books. I mean, what if they kill off someone? Break up Spock and Uhura, etc.

Perhaps after the next movie, Paramount and O&K will have a better idea about where our new Trek is going, and the books can be released before the third one.

Is Pocket going to add several more books to take the canceled books' places?

Oh well, at least we still have TOS books. I enjoyed Sorrows of the Empire set in the Mirror Universe immensely. And, Inception is on its way, too.