The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Most Annoying Person of 2009
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
No one can withstand the voice of God

Old 01-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
]I honestly hope that when I die there is something on the other side but like Bill Maher in Religulous I'm ok with saying I don't know what happens when you die. I think it's far better then making claims that you do.
People may make claims of what they believe happens when they die, it is not fact. It is belief and that is where this whole circular argument has brought us to. We don't know. We can't know. But when a scientist writes a book to say that religion is all rubbish then he'd better have proof of God's non-existence or he is just the same as the rest of us. he has no special knowledge. Sadly the problem I feel with Dawkins is not his opinion, his poorly argued points, or his book title but the fact that lay people will think that because he is a scientist he has the answer and frankly, he doesn't. That's what really disturbs me. The fact that he uses science to argue that God does not exist. It's like trying to use a map of China to explain the history of the American Civil war. He is using the wrong tools.

I believe in gravity, evolution and the Big Bang and so does Dawkins. We simply differ in our views on what is the force behind those things. He may think it is a delusion but for billions of people, God is very real and very personal.

I teach Religious Education in a high school in Scotland and I have my own faith. I am required to teach all the major religions, humanism, morality and philosophy. I don't believe/ agree with everything I teach but I try to be as unbiased as possible. I have even found some very interesting points made by other religions. I think that the Buddhist 4 Noble Truths have hit the nail on the head. I think the Sikh view of hospitality and the langar meal at the end of their services is perfect. I don;t truly understand why we can't have more sensible interfaith dialogue and dialogue between those of different faiths and none. Unfortunately books like Dawkins book seek to divide rather than bring people together.

It's been fun to discuss this with you EC but I was beginning to take it personally which I know was never your intention and it was not personal in anyway. Once things start to become (or at least feel) personal then rationality goes out of the window. The problem with faith is that it is personal and it's not really something that should be scientifically analysed.

That's just my humble view of course

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 01-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Lieutenant

I don't even want to know how Religion spawned from this thread...if I said starwarsrcks was the most annoying person of 2009 would that be considered mean on my part?
Old 01-16-2010, 02:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG_Trekman View Post
I don't even want to know how Religion spawned from this thread
It was my fault. I said Dawkins was the most annoying person of 2009

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 01-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I'm much more annoying...read this.

1000 bottles of beer on the wall, 1000 bottles of beer. Take one down, pass it around. 999 bottles of beer on the wall.

999 bottles of beer on the wall, 999 bottles of beer. Take one down, pass it around. 998 bottles of beer on the wall.

997 bottles of beer on the wall, 997 bottles of beer. Take one down, pass it around. 996 bottles of beer on the wall.

Yeah, just try getting that out of your heads. Mwhahahahaha!

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 01-16-2010, 06:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
I'm much more annoying...read this.

1000 bottles of beer on the wall, 1000 bottles of beer. Take one down, pass it around. 999 bottles of beer on the wall.

999 bottles of beer on the wall, 999 bottles of beer. Take one down, pass it around. 998 bottles of beer on the wall.

997 bottles of beer on the wall, 997 bottles of beer. Take one down, pass it around. 996 bottles of beer on the wall.

Yeah, just try getting that out of your heads. Mwhahahahaha!
Being a teacher, that is just mildly irritating

Old 01-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Fleet Admiral

Heer paar gaar ba goom por de schkidoo
Yer moor haar mooske goom bork bork bork!!!

Old 01-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post

Heer paar gaar ba goom por de schkidoo
Yer moor haar mooske goom bork bork bork!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA

YES! IT'S PERFECT!