The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Good news: Kids love the new Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finarvyn View Post
I have a simiar experience to the OP's. My daughter (age 14) has had zero interest in Star Trek of any kind in the past, but really enjoyed the new movie. In fact, she "made" me take her back to see it two more times!

I think it's the "hip Uhura" in the miniskirt that grabbed her at first, but she said she just loved the whole thing (except for the first 12 minutes or so which made her cry). Not only did she love the movie, but she bought it for me at Christmas and had the whole family sit and watch it with her. Another few times. :-)

I'm not sure she'll ever be interested in watching my old TOS DVD's, but she's hooked on Star Trek now!
Cute! It's nice to know that the entire scene leading up to and including Kirk's birth has made non-fans cry. I mean, to me and a lot of other Trekkies that particular scene was so very powerful and its significance so huge that it was easy to get totally emotional about it and cry like a baby (no pun intended). But since I can't put myself in the shoes of a non-fan, I had always been wondering how someone outside of the fandom would react to it...

Old 01-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finarvyn View Post
I have a simiar experience to the OP's. My daughter (age 14) has had zero interest in Star Trek of any kind in the past, but really enjoyed the new movie. In fact, she "made" me take her back to see it two more times!

I think it's the "hip Uhura" in the miniskirt that grabbed her at first, but she said she just loved the whole thing (except for the first 12 minutes or so which made her cry). Not only did she love the movie, but she bought it for me at Christmas and had the whole family sit and watch it with her. Another few times. :-)

I'm not sure she'll ever be interested in watching my old TOS DVD's, but she's hooked on Star Trek now!

Now that's what's UP!
Old 01-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Vice Admiral

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
Cute! It's nice to know that the entire scene leading up to and including Kirk's birth has made non-fans cry. I mean, to me and a lot of other Trekkies that particular scene was so very powerful and its significance so huge that it was easy to get totally emotional about it and cry like a baby (no pun intended). But since I can't put myself in the shoes of a non-fan, I had always been wondering how someone outside of the fandom would react to it...
My roommate and his girl friend really never gave Star Trek a second thought before this movie. Not that they didn't like Star Trek as a franchise, it just didn't catch their interest.

Although they did not cry during the opening moments of the new movie, it did move them, and from that moment, they were hooked.

As for me, it's hard for me to fight back a lump in my throat every time I watch that scene.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I'll share my own story

My daughter is 19. She's never watched any Trek. She knows I love it so she went to see the movie with me. She LOVED it!! We saw it 3 times together.

Then I purchased the remastered TOS. She started watching that over Christmas break. She LOVES it. We'd watch 3 in a row on some days. She's looking forward to spring break and more TOS.

Intelligent people enjoy the old show after seeing the new movie. The remasters are excellent. They see the pacing of the show as film, not television. And they see the content as philosophical and character based.

Young people get this. The film did wonders for the original series. There's been a rebirth in fandom.
~
Old 02-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by erruve View Post
I'll share my own story

My daughter is 19. She's never watched any Trek. She knows I love it so she went to see the movie with me. She LOVED it!! We saw it 3 times together.

Then I purchased the remastered TOS. She started watching that over Christmas break. She LOVES it. We'd watch 3 in a row on some days. She's looking forward to spring break and more TOS.

Intelligent people enjoy the old show after seeing the new movie. The remasters are excellent. They see the pacing of the show as film, not television. And they see the content as philosophical and character based.

Young people get this. The film did wonders for the original series. There's been a rebirth in fandom.
~
Nice!