The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > All future Star Trek toy plans from Playmates on hold!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
That's exactly what it was and you missed nothing by not seeing it - in fact you made yourself richer in more than one way by skipping it.
I probably gained a few IQ points by not seeing it. You could consider the gi joe movie an alternate universe, like Star Trek was. Basically where everything is f-cked up and all the characters are losers to a degree.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
I do think there will be Star Trek XII toys, but the question might be by whom? For all the complaints about Playmates, they are really one of the few toy companies that have the muscle to get toys in retail stores (Hasbro, Mattel, McFarlane Toys, and Bandai being some others).

But we'll probably see a more conservative toyline for Star Trek XII (not so many figures and certainly not in as many sizes), with probably all-new sculpts as there usually are for movie sequel toys.
Well Paramount announced that the new film would be more "toy friendly," which means we'll either be seeing more gadgets, etc., or whatever else it means. I think the problem was that they got just a bit TOO ambitious with the Trek line all at once. I don't think it was a case of plenty of people not buying the products (obviously they did,) it's just that Playmates produced too much of it, ended up wasting money, and thus why you see plenty left over. So I think your prediction of a "more conservative toy line" carries merit in that regards, but we'll see what they are going for with this more "toy friendly line."

As far as whom Paramount will go with... well Playmates has proven that they can produce mass market product. They are produced fast, and are targeted to kids (and how many kids are going to complain about sculpt proportions, detail, etc?) They may still go with Playmates but hopefully won't go so overboard (I mean what was the need for three different sizes of action figures when only one size was any good for the bridge set?) AA/DST, which I've seen a lot of people mention as their preference, while producing great product, possibly wouldn't be able to produce what Paramount would demand all at once and I don't believe their products are really aimed at the toy market but rather the collectible market, which is undoubtedly a smaller market.

They will just have to really evaluate what they did and what they could do better as far as the toy line goes. Possibilities are endless.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
I probably gained a few IQ points by not seeing it. You could consider the gi joe movie an alternate universe, like Star Trek was. Basically where everything is f-cked up and all the characters are losers to a degree.
Well.............we might differ on that latter part.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
I know I certainly do.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:13 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMan View Post
Well Paramount announced that the new film would be more "toy friendly," which means we'll either be seeing more gadgets, etc., or whatever else it means. I think the problem was that they got just a bit TOO ambitious with the Trek line all at once. I don't think it was a case of plenty of people not buying the products (obviously they did,) it's just that Playmates produced too much of it, ended up wasting money, and thus why you see plenty left over. So I think your prediction of a "more conservative toy line" carries merit in that regards, but we'll see what they are going for with this more "toy friendly line."

As far as whom Paramount will go with... well Playmates has proven that they can produce mass market product. They are produced fast, and are targeted to kids (and how many kids are going to complain about sculpt proportions, detail, etc?) They may still go with Playmates but hopefully won't go so overboard (I mean what was the need for three different sizes of action figures when only one size was any good for the bridge set?) AA/DST, which I've seen a lot of people mention as their preference, while producing great product, possibly wouldn't be able to produce what Paramount would demand all at once and I don't believe their products are really aimed at the toy market but rather the collectible market, which is undoubtedly a smaller market.

They will just have to really evaluate what they did and what they could do better as far as the toy line goes. Possibilities are endless.
I definitely agree with all those points.

While the idea of producing figures in different scales might have been to give consumers more of a choice, it didn't necessarily make the retail stores happy in the end and their reticence in ordering Wave 2 is really what derailed it from coming out as originally planned, IMO.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'd rather have ships anyway.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Since gi ho is a distant memory who cares anyway. Funny thing is the Enterprise(2009) has become my favorite hot wheels ship. Something about those prism-like bussards does it for me. If you point light at them, the lights get refracted inside the domes and it kinda glows.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
I do think there will be Star Trek XII toys, but the question might be by whom? For all the complaints about Playmates, they are really one of the few toy companies that have the muscle to get toys in retail stores (Hasbro, Mattel, McFarlane Toys, and Bandai being some others).

But we'll probably see a more conservative toyline for Star Trek XII (not so many figures and certainly not in as many sizes), with probably all-new sculpts as there usually are for movie sequel toys.
I hope so, I still like see 12'nch figures of Scotty,Chekov and Uhura, since they didn't release those.