The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > The Journey To Babel
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Vice Admiral

Default The Journey To Babel

I just watched The Journey To Babel and it just was so good and interesting having Spock's parents in it and the different things that happen to the characters. What are your thoughts on this fantastic episode.

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 12-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Captain

I enjoyed it on several levels, notably because it gave us some insight into Spock's relationship with his father. I also liked the introduction to the Andorian and Tellarite races. All in all, it had a nice mix of action, diplomacy, espionage, and mystery. Oh, and McCoy gets the last word!
Old 12-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

To me (and I know I'm probably in the minority here), this is one of the episodes that just doesn't hold up well. It was great the first 20-30 viewings, but its a little too cute for me now.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Federation Councillor

I think I might know what you mean.

It walks a very fine line between being on the one hand a great character story for Spock and gives Kirk and McCoy some great moments around that, the whole plot is an increasingly over-twisty house of cards silliness that just about gets away with itself - primarily as a result of the strength of the character moments.

When I watch it now - I see where the new film took some of it's inspiration from (strong on character, ludicrous on plot!)

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
I just watched The Journey To Babel and it just was so good and interesting having Spock's parents in it and the different things that happen to the characters. What are your thoughts on this fantastic episode.
I love it! This is the very first time we see Spock's parents.We have heard of him talk about them before this episode but never saw who they were. And also hear some things about Spock from his parents, that we probley never knew before. I love the part where McCoy ask Spock's mother about what Spock did as a child. And finds out about the pet he had, I just loved McCoy's reaction "A teady bear" That was pretty funny, McCoy always seems like to embarass Spock, dont' he? I also loved the ending where both Spock and Kirk are in sickbay at the sametime, McCoy gets a little enjoyment out of it by saying "What you know I finally got the last word" That was also great as well.