The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Warp Speed.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-06-2010, 09:41 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Nope. It's one of those unspoken things in Trek (such as the Enterprise-E being a Sovereign-class starship). In fact, the only official thing we know about warp scales period is that each subsequent warp factor is presumably faster than the previous one and that "maximum warp" varies from ship to ship. Otherwise, both the TOS and TNG warp scales are totally non-canon and have been pretty much contradicted in every episode involving speeds and travel times to boot.

The only reason why it is presumed there was a recalibration in the warp scale was because of behind-the-scenes information and because the Enterprise-D would be otherwise slower than the original Enterprise.
Thanks for confirming - I didn't think it had ever been gone over 'officially'.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,985
Default

Set Coarse for the neutral zone, ahead Plot Factor 8....engage!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-06-2010, 04:16 PM
vuedoc's Avatar
vuedoc vuedoc is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
A lot of that has to do with how rarely we see other Starfleet vessels in Trek.
And a lot of that had to do with the original budget.
__________________
"Stop it? I'm counting on it."
"But not because you threaten me. I'll pay you because... it's my pleasure."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore
A lot of that has to do with how rarely we see other Starfleet vessels in Trek.
And a lot of that had to do with the original budget.
Actually, no it didn't.

If you look at TOS, there simply weren't many stories that involved other Starfleet vessels. It had nothing to do with the budget, but because the stories didn't require them. The main focus of the series was on the Enterprise being the only Starfleet ship out there where it was, a premise that was duplicated in TNG and ENT, and with the Voyager in VOY. As a result, we never really saw a big representation of Starfleet's might until DS9.
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-07-2010, 11:12 AM
vuedoc's Avatar
vuedoc vuedoc is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Actually, no it didn't.

If you look at TOS, there simply weren't many stories that involved other Starfleet vessels. It had nothing to do with the budget, but because the stories didn't require them. The main focus of the series was on the Enterprise being the only Starfleet ship out there where it was, a premise that was duplicated in TNG and ENT, and with the Voyager in VOY. As a result, we never really saw a big representation of Starfleet's might until DS9.

I see your point, and I realize that I had misread your original commont to include any other vessel, which of course is untrue. Sorry!
__________________
"Stop it? I'm counting on it."
"But not because you threaten me. I'll pay you because... it's my pleasure."
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-08-2010, 06:43 AM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
I see your point, and I realize that I had misread your original commont to include any other vessel, which of course is untrue. Sorry!
No harm, no foul.
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Admiral Rand Admiral Rand is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 48
Default

So i know this thread died long ago but i had another thought the other day. How come when Tom Paris went warp ten everyone was like your a hero and wow this is so great and all that jazz. And i know he gets sick and all that. But how come no one ever mentions it again? It just like disappears.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-25-2010, 12:25 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,046
Default

Because they established that breaking the warp barrier was harmful to humans - therefore it was not to be broken.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-25-2010, 01:36 AM
NCC-73515's Avatar
NCC-73515 NCC-73515 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 7,207
Default

They could have sent probes... recording data from each spot in the universe simultaneously is a scientist's dream
__________________


"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,985
Default

I think they just wanted to forget about that episode
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.