The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Good news: Kids love the new Trek
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Admiral

I took Star Trek XI in to school on the last day to show to some of my kids since I have had the Star Trek theme running in my class for the last term and wanted to put it into a bit of perspective for them. There were not many kids in as it was the last day but the kids who were mostly enjoyed it or would have moaned no matter what movie I had put on (there is no pleasing some kids). So yes, Star Trek does appeal to the younger generation.

OTOH I showed Caretaker to my three nieces, the 8 year old (who has a telescope and is a brainy wee thing) loved it and the 12 year old was not so sure but said she was getting into it by the end. The 4 year old thought all the lights and explosions were great.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 01-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
yes, that is good news...for Paramount that may have a Trekkie for life to buy up their overpriced Trek products, watch their up-coming Trek films, etc. The younger you get them the stronger impression you can make upon them, and longer you can have a milch cow to leech off of.
Great words for 1966.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMan View Post
Great words for 1966.
Ummmm. This is 2010 trigger. Ya know, 21st century and all that?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Ummmm. This is 2010 trigger. Ya know, 21st century and all that?
And their post applied to 1966. Go figure.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:46 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
I took Star Trek XI in to school on the last day to show to some of my kids since I have had the Star Trek theme running in my class for the last term and wanted to put it into a bit of perspective for them. There were not many kids in as it was the last day but the kids who were mostly enjoyed it or would have moaned no matter what movie I had put on (there is no pleasing some kids). So yes, Star Trek does appeal to the younger generation.

OTOH I showed Caretaker to my three nieces, the 8 year old (who has a telescope and is a brainy wee thing) loved it and the 12 year old was not so sure but said she was getting into it by the end. The 4 year old thought all the lights and explosions were great.
That's it - you certainly wouldn't expect very young kids to understand some of the ideas and content but that doesn't have to be what attracts them in the first place.

As they get older then the rest becomes clearer to them and they still like it then great!

But liking it because it was fun for them is no poor entry point for younger kids, just one of many ways to start the trip!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-05-2010, 05:16 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
And their post applied to 1966. Go figure.
It applied more appropriately to 2010. As the poster intended. Get off your high horse trigger. It's getting old.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
It applied more appropriately to 2010. As the poster intended.
It applies to all of Star Trek, as history intended.

Quote:
Get off your high horse trigger. It's getting old.
Irrelevant.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Irrelevant.
Irrelevant? Not in the least. You, sir, are irritating. Sorry if this offends you, but your are. You're an arrogant, self-centered, conceited, pompous, ***. Again, I must appologize. I don't usually call people names. It's not in my nature to allow my temper to get the best of me, or to be mean or hostile toward anyone. But you just bring it out of me.

To everyone else on the board, I appologize for the above post. But I simply couldn't take it anymore.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Vice Admiral

God, I'm gonna get so much crap over that. But I'm not deleting it. I feel that he deserves to be knocked down a few notches so he can be on the same level as the rest of us, considering that be apparently believes himself to be on a higher plane that us plain ol' folks. Just my opinion of course.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Ensign

I have a simiar experience to the OP's. My daughter (age 14) has had zero interest in Star Trek of any kind in the past, but really enjoyed the new movie. In fact, she "made" me take her back to see it two more times!

I think it's the "hip Uhura" in the miniskirt that grabbed her at first, but she said she just loved the whole thing (except for the first 12 minutes or so which made her cry). Not only did she love the movie, but she bought it for me at Christmas and had the whole family sit and watch it with her. Another few times. :-)

I'm not sure she'll ever be interested in watching my old TOS DVD's, but she's hooked on Star Trek now!
TOS Fan since 1973

"You know, going back in time, changing history... that's cheating."
- James T. Kirk (ST:XI)