The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Most Annoying Person of 2009
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2009, 12:43 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
See. You only know the guy's name and his book's title. And yet you spread bad words about him...
His choice of title for a non-fiction book says alot. It could certainly be simply a way to generate publicity and that would say things also. So yes I said a few bad words about him as far as it goes for first impressions. No more no less.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

Someone who claims to be sure that God does not exist, who sells atheism as science is no better than creationists who do it the other way round. If everybody would just remain in his playground, be it the religious/philosophical or the scientific one, there would be no problems of this kind.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:13 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post

Another attorney general? Why can't we have politians who are not lawyers? Lawyers solve problems by successfully representing their clients. They seek to win lawsuits, have new laws passed, press appellate courts to overturn precedent, and they always parse language to favor their side. Confined to the practice of law, that's fine. But it is an awful way to govern. When politicians as lawyers begin to view some Americans as clients and other Americans as opposing parties, then the role of the legal system in our life becomes all-consuming.
I agree. Whey you have lawyers writing the laws, well, is it any wonder we're in the state we are nowadays? Lawyers only know fear.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:15 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Someone who claims to be sure that God does not exist, who sells atheism as science is no better than creationists who do it the other way round. If everybody would just remain in his playground, be it the religious/philosophical or the scientific one, there would be no problems of this kind.
Exactly. Titles like "How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)" or "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot" are SUPPOSED to cause a reaction, which causes people to buy the book. If you take that kind of stuff seriously you'll end up with an ulcer. Let the little dogs bark, I say.

But that doesn't mean they shouldn't write the books - just that we should be adults and ignore them.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Exactly. Titles like "How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)" or "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot" are SUPPOSED to cause a reaction, which causes people to buy the book. If you take that kind of stuff seriously you'll end up with an ulcer. Let the little dogs bark, I say.

But that doesn't mean they shouldn't write the books - just that we should be adults and ignore them.
Well said.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:

In those cases the titles mean what they say. Dont talk to liberals unless you absolutely have to. Rush is an idiot. You know what you are getting between the covers. Another title says faith in god is delusional. You know what you are getting there also.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
I'm going with Michael Jackson. The endless press coverage of a man who already annoyed me was just salt in the wounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
...So I've changed my mind- to me the most annoying person was every celebrity who died this past year who gripped the attention of people more than the economy, the state of health care, the wars, and everything else wrong that we still have a chance to fix did.
Let's see how many smilies I can find to express my admiration for these sentiments.

I also had the beer toast smiley and the thumbs up smiley, but the site limits me to 4 images per post. So...only 6? They need more smilies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
In those cases the titles mean what they say. Dont talk to liberals unless you absolutely have to. Rush is an idiot. You know what you are getting between the covers. Another title says faith in god is delusional. You know what you are getting there also.
It's called preaching to the choir, aka positive reinforcement of bias. Ninety-nine percent of people who buy "How to speak to a liberal (if you must)" are conservatives, while a similar proportion of people who buy "Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot" are liberal. They reinforce their preconceived notions by reading only the stuff they agree with. Or to put it another way, "If you repeat a lie enough times, people will come to accept it as true."

The real mystery is why our societies let these bozos get away with this crap.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Vice Admiral

Sarah Palin, hands DOWN!!! No doubt about it. That lady is so freakin' stupid it boggles my mind anyone would want to read her book, much less actually PAY for it!!!

Octomom was very annoying, but she does NOT shape people's views on political topics. She doesn't freak people out and make them think their will be government "death panels"!! Shame on Palin for being so stupid, and shame on all those people for swallowing her BS hook-line-and-sinker!!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:16 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Sarah Palin, hands DOWN!!! No doubt about it. That lady is so freakin' stupid it boggles my mind anyone would want to read her book, much less actually PAY for it!!!

Octomom was very annoying, but she does NOT shape people's views on political topics. She doesn't freak people out and make them think their will be government "death panels"!! Shame on Palin for being so stupid, and shame on all those people for swallowing her BS hook-line-and-sinker!!
But she's so purty!
Old 01-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
But she's so purty!
That probably why all those old republican white males loved her. Shes looks like the librarian you want to... well... you know the rest.