The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > Picard's moral dilema regarding Hugh
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default Picard's moral dilema regarding Hugh

I was thinking about this earlier and was wondering, did he make the right choice in sending him back to the Borg without the program that may have destroyed them? Admiral Nechayev didn't seem to think he did when she dressed him down in Decent. Is it possible she was right, and he was wrong? Consider this, we know that the Borg in the time after Hugh was returned remained very active in the Delta quadrant as evidenced by Janeway's run ins with them.

They destroy entire worlds, enslave entire races without mercy. How many Earth sized planets and populations fall? Countless billions, maybe even trillions were most likely dealt their fate by the Borg. Is all of that blood (and assimilation) really on the hands of Picard due to his choice? Was the "right" choice really not so cut and dry?

Last edited by Captain Tom Coughlin : 12-10-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Captain

Would not have worked anyway

Old 12-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Vice Admiral

Picard said it himself, I'll paraphrase "it appears the moral thing to do was not the right thing to do"

I agree with that. Assuming the killer program would have worked, which was what the episode strongly implied would have been the outcome, then Picard SHOULD have sent Hugh to destroy the Borg. One individual is NOT worth millions of lives. I won't get into a moral debate over similar situations, but in this case... Picard screwed up royally. I felt that way when I saw the episode for the first time and I felt that way when the Admiral chewwed him out. Sometimes the moral high ground is NOT the best place to be.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't think it's a given that it wouldn't have worked, it was a very different proposition than what ended up happening with Hugh. Hugh had a sense of individuality that overtime disrupted the collective on his ship. It took time. The computer virus may very well have spread beyond the ship before the borg realized what had happened as it was specifically designed to do. Hugh's effect on the collective was an unintended consequence, the logic bomb was a weapon designed to do a very specific job. It's two very different things.

Last edited by Captain Tom Coughlin : 12-11-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I always thought that Hugh's Borgs became a separate colony. With the Collective being far away from them.

Plus, Hugh's Borg seemed pretty tough and able to hold against re-assimilation.

On top of that...there is that sense of individuality that Hugh "infected" (for want of a better word) those Borg with.

It's complex...but workable.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 12-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

But that is the major difference, Hugh says himself in Decent that overtime the individual thoughts created more and more discord so the Borg severed the link with them and they went on to struggle on their own and that is when Lore found them.

It took some undetermined time for this unintended consequence to unfold, giving the collective the time it needed to react. Picard's weapon was designed to destroy the collective as a whole, you really can't compare the effects of an unintended a consequence with a dedicated weapon.