The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > Honor Amongst Thieves
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2009, 04:48 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
As Eddington would say, it's easy to be a saint in paradise. Or hard to not become a mobster in certain places.
Actually Sisko said that, in The Maquis part 2 (specifically about Earth as Paradise):

"On Earth, there is no poverty, no crime, no war. You look out the window of Starfleet Headquarters and you see Paradise. Well, it's easy to be a saint in Paradise, but the Maquis do not live in Paradise. Out there in the demilitarized zone, all the problems haven't been solved yet. Out there, there are no saints — just people. Angry, scared, determined people who are going to do whatever it takes to survive, whether it meets with Federation approval or not!"

But Eddington did make a reference to the "Federation = Paradise" notion in For the Cause:

"I know you. I was like you once, but then I opened my eyes. Open your eyes, Captain. Why is the Federation so obsessed with the Maquis? We've never harmed you. And yet we're constantly arrested and charged with terrorism. Starships chase us through the Badlands and our supporters are harassed and ridiculed. Why? Because we've left the Federation, and that's the one thing you can't accept. Nobody leaves paradise. Everyone should want to be in the Federation. Hell, you even want the Cardassians to join. You're only sending them replicators because one day they can take their "rightful place" on the Federation Council. You know In some ways you're even worse than the Borg. At least they tell you about their plans for assimilation. You're more insidious. You assimilate people and they don't even know it."
Old 12-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilEyes View Post
Actually Sisko said that, in The Maquis part 2 (specifically about Earth as Paradise):

"On Earth, there is no poverty, no crime, no war. You look out the window of Starfleet Headquarters and you see Paradise. Well, it's easy to be a saint in Paradise, but the Maquis do not live in Paradise. Out there in the demilitarized zone, all the problems haven't been solved yet. Out there, there are no saints — just people. Angry, scared, determined people who are going to do whatever it takes to survive, whether it meets with Federation approval or not!"

But Eddington did make a reference to the "Federation = Paradise" notion in For the Cause:

"I know you. I was like you once, but then I opened my eyes. Open your eyes, Captain. Why is the Federation so obsessed with the Maquis? We've never harmed you. And yet we're constantly arrested and charged with terrorism. Starships chase us through the Badlands and our supporters are harassed and ridiculed. Why? Because we've left the Federation, and that's the one thing you can't accept. Nobody leaves paradise. Everyone should want to be in the Federation. Hell, you even want the Cardassians to join. You're only sending them replicators because one day they can take their "rightful place" on the Federation Council. You know In some ways you're even worse than the Borg. At least they tell you about their plans for assimilation. You're more insidious. You assimilate people and they don't even know it."
I'm sure I've said it before but exchanges like that are truly why I love DS9!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Because man has spread far and wide - many humans will never set foot on it in their lifetime perhaps. Is it their home? Do they 'feel' for it? Do they have a connection to it? Does the idea of Earth have a meaning for them if they don't really know it?

For us, we are dependant on the Earth to support us. Take that dependency away from human and would it have the same lure?
My answer is a definitive: YES
Not for all of course, but the harder their life would be, the stronger their bounds will grow.
Jews all over the world care for Israel, black Americans celebrate their African heritage, all ethnicities build havens of their own culture in foreign territory.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:12 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
Not for all of course, but the harder their life would be, the stronger their bounds will grow.
Jews all over the world care for Israel, black Americans celebrate their African heritage, all ethnicities build havens of their own culture in foreign territory.
We see in ENTs Terra Nova how the opposite can happen and people lose all ties from their homeland but it would be interesting to see other colonies that are happy parts of the Federation and how they're culturally and socially different from Earth and how much of a bond they feel to it. I imagine its the kind of thing that would diminish over the generations.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
Slight correction, havens of their own culture in a foreign culture. If you create a home on an uninhabitated planet, there is no pre-existing culture. Colonists are proud of their work and depending on their distance from Earth and the regularity of contact, their culture will be more independent.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Slight correction, havens of their own culture in a foreign culture. If you create a home on an uninhabitated planet, there is no pre-existing culture. Colonists are proud of their work and depending on their distance from Earth and the regularity of contact, their culture will be more independent.
And Judging from that the attachment to the original homeworld would be considerably less than that of those born and bred on said homeworld.