The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trek Tech > Ships, Devices, etc. > Kirk's Enterprise with a 3rd refit?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Kirk's Enterprise with a 3rd refit?

In Star Trek 3, Kirk and Scotty discussed how much refit time before the E can be taking out again. 2 weeks Scotty says. So if the Enterprise got a 3rd refit, what would she look like?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Lieutenant Commander

There are varying degrees of "refit" from simply "repair and resupply" to "major overhaul and upgrade". TMP was the latter while STIII would've been the former. I think the basic definition is: To be made fit again. If Enterprise has had two majors, she's probably had dozens of minors without even considering resupply.

EDIT: I forgot to add "I don't think she'd look any different."

Old 10-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin' Wolf View Post
There are varying degrees of "refit" from simply "repair and resupply" to "major overhaul and upgrade". TMP was the latter while STIII would've been the former. I think the basic definition is: To be made fit again. If Enterprise has had two majors, she's probably had dozens of minors without even considering resupply.

EDIT: I forgot to add "I don't think she'd look any different."
with that in mind it makes me think of a major because when mentioned a refit to the commander of Starfleet, it was better to have her decommissioned. Would you rather decommission rather then repair and resupply?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I figured just a time consuming repair in this case. Scotty seemed to have most of the major systems up and running though I'm sure they still needed some attention. My guess is that a lot of the sub-systems were still damaged with a lot of bypassing going on. Which in the end, contributed to the automated system failure. Large components can sometimes be switched out quickly and easily while tearing into the guts of something to make smaller repairs can sometimes be the most tedious. It wouldn't surprise me if part of the miracle Scotty intended amounted to no more than keeping unnecessary systems bypassed while making the jury rigging more reliable.

Quote:
Would you rather decommission rather then repair and resupply?
Well besides having the shiny new Excelsior class I bet Starfleet Brass is just full of Big Dumbheads(my daughters current favorite insult).

Old 10-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Another thing I was thinking about is how much work went into the first refit then just to get decommissioned after just 2 missions. First to deal with V'ger, then presumed back in space dock then out for a run around the block which we all know became a bigger problem, then back home again. Now Starfleet is like...junk it. What a waste.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagaditH View Post
Another thing I was thinking about is how much work went into the first refit then just to get decommissioned after just 2 missions. First to deal with V'ger, then presumed back in space dock then out for a run around the block which we all know became a bigger problem, then back home again. Now Starfleet is like...junk it. What a waste.
I think more time elapsed than was shown on screen. Isn't there supposed to have been an entire five-year mission immediately following the V'Ger incident? In other words, ST II occurred more than five years after TMP, not immediately after.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:51 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobertsumc View Post
I think more time elapsed than was shown on screen. Isn't there supposed to have been an entire five-year mission immediately following the V'Ger incident? In other words, ST II occurred more than five years after TMP, not immediately after.
by my numbers 7 years.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:24 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami Crewman View Post
by my numbers 7 years.
That's about right if Kirk commanded a 2nd 5 year mission after TMP, then was "promoted" back into Academy work. TWOK indiacted he'd been in that job about 2 years.

But none of this adds up with Kirk's age. TOS established in season one he was 34. Ok, 5 year mission. He's now 39. 2.5 years as cheif of Starfleet operations, he's now 41. Another 5 year mission, now he's 46. Another roughly 2 years of Academy work, he's approximately 48.

TWOK has Kirk celebrating his 50th BIRTHDAY! What happend to those 2 missing years???
Old 12-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post

TWOK has Kirk celebrating his 50th BIRTHDAY! What happend to those 2 missing years???
Sex, drugs, and alcohol.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagaditH View Post
Sex, drugs, and alcohol.
More like Saurinan Brandy, Spican Flame Gems, and Orion Slave Girls....