The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > Why Was This Cancelled!?!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPutz View Post
Admiral,
You may want to reference the thread "What went wrong!"

Saquist,
I am surprised about the Travis comment as well. Care to elaborate?
I thought the whole space boomer bit was interesting...but the weakest of the characters (....usually)
It was practically his only episode...they need to do much more.I saw that one but even in that episode it seems they reall avoided giving the character a personality than just the young black dude...there has to be more.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Archer View Post
Okay, I know I'm gonna piss some people off, but here goes:

Now to explain why I like Enterprise as much as I do, because after TOS and TNG, it is my favorite STAR TREK series ever made. And here's why:

Let the hate mail begin...
Why do people who love ENT have to be so defensive about letting everybody else know about it? Just funny to me, that's all... It's like, we *expect* everybody to sorta flame us when we say how much we love ENT...

Anyway, back on topic - ENT had to fight off lots of great sci-fi series when it was on air, and simply couldn't sustain the viewership. TOS had basically no competition, whereas I think the most serious competition was between DS9 and Babylon 5, right? I'm not belittling the other series, cause I think they're *all* great, but ENT is definitely not the worst of the lot - just that it was born at the wrong time, that's all...
Old 03-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

Voyager and DS9 fought off Stargate and Babylon Five...I think it's equal...

Old 03-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Commander

I thought that ENT was progressively getting better and better. Manny Coto did an outstanding job running that show during seasons 3 and 4. To me, he'll always be the Gene Coon of that show. (He's since moved on to 24 and that show has just gotten better since.)

I was disappointed when ENT was cancelled. It was starting to get into its prime.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Unhappy Cost Vs Profit

The most important thing any Producer of any Show is Profit. The producers had to measure the cost of doing the show Vs the amount of money they made, and would make from future syndication of the show.

Any show connected to the Star Trek Universe must pay for the rights and any future rights to the show.

I figure that the Producers found that the profit was not large enough to continue producing the show. The wanted to spend their money on a show they, themselves owned and had full control.

This is just my opinion.

Last edited by jorDe' : 03-19-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Commander

Admiral, you should tell the thread how old you are... it would better help everyone else understand your perspective.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorDe' View Post
The most important thing any Producer of any Show id Profit. The producers had to measure the cost of doing the show Vs the amount of money they made, and would make from future syndication of the show.

Any show connected to the Star Trek Universe must pay for the rights and any future rights to the show.

I figure that the Producers found that the profit was not large enough to continue producing the show. The wanted to spend their money on a show they, themselves owned and had full control.

This is just my opinion.

I hadn't considered that..perhaps then the sponsers were the problem.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Admiral

I disagree that Admiral's age is an issue. I do know that sometimes a poster will say something that I tend to take with a bit of care because I think the poster is young but nothing about Admiral's post screamed "I just made the cut off to post here!". It's entirely possible he (based on Avatar, I'm going with "he") was not in America when the show was first broadcast. That would explain his question very well.

jorDe is really smart! Profit is the thing...the show cost too much to make for what it brought in. Sadly, it had lost a huge chunk of its audience base before the team clicked in and (from what I hear) started making good television. It was not able to recover from that.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:01 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
You're wrong Archer...they put the title Trek on the show at the end because fans were saying that meant it wasn't actually Star Trek.The show was bland. All the characters were unintresting except for Mayweather and they never developed him
It was Star Trek all along...TPTB figured by that point people would be smart enough to recognize it was a Star Trek series without it having to be in the title. ESPECIALLY since what was the next thing you saw after the title "Enterprise"? You saw "Based upon 'Star Trek' Created by Gene Roddenberry." Guess the fans who complained either missed that or it wasn't enough.

Then again, how many people over the years have asked "Who sings the title song?" when it's in the episode credits after the episode title of every single installment of the series?

Last edited by starbase63 : 03-19-2008 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:05 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorDe' View Post
The most important thing any Producer of any Show id Profit. The producers had to measure the cost of doing the show Vs the amount of money they made, and would make from future syndication of the show.

This is just my opinion.
jorDe'? I don't think I quite get you.

Paramount at that point DID own Star Trek and everything related to it...including the network it was being shown on...

Berman was technically in Paramount's emply...