The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Enterprise Birdge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Federation Councillor

The use of silence was really effective as well, coming right after that officer's scream for help before being blown out to space.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Is this to do with it's relocation slightly to lower in the dome?

If so then yes is has moved and seems to be part of a now larger deck of the ship - as evidenced by the fact it now has both turbolift and corridor access to it.

The very top of the dome now seems to be a sensor hub or something containing technology/ship's systems etc
It was according to the old AMT model kits of the classic Enterprise. It wasn't considered part of the bridge, I think, nor part of deck 1, IIRC...

It might just be coincidence--or may be not--but the classic Enterprise in the original "The Cage" pilot has a much taller bridge dome than the one used in the rest of the series.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Captain

Thanks everyone. It makes perfect sense that it is lower now, because the bridge is bigger than on the TOS. I have the bluRay(I love it!) and it is awesome! I think in the next movie they won't have to spend a major part of the time introducing everyone, then they man be able to give us some more shots of the ship!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
It was according to the old AMT model kits of the classic Enterprise. It wasn't considered part of the bridge, I think, nor part of deck 1, IIRC...

It might just be coincidence--or may be not--but the classic Enterprise in the original "The Cage" pilot has a much taller bridge dome than the one used in the rest of the series.
I never figured that one out...like the posts on the nacelles in The Cage.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post

I think that the dome was actually supposed to be the top of the bridge. In "The Cage" and "The Menagerie", we see the camera literally go through the dome and zoom in on the bridge in Pike's Enterprise. And on my AMT Cutaway Enterprise model, the dome is actually clear and you can see the bridge through it. As far as Pike's E having a taller bridge section, it does. It was lowered in the Kirk-era to make the ship look bigger since the crew compliment went from 203 to 430. Although, we all know from the litteally thousands of technical schematics available that both Pike's and Kirk's Enterprises were in fact the same ship. Only the height of the bridge was different dimensionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Me either. But the posts...I have absolutely no idea what they were for. Maybe antennae or graviton field generators? Uh-oh. There I go with that meaningless techonbabble again.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

They should have used the spiked nacelles in the new movie! For the Kelvin, at least.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Vice Admiral

That would have been nice.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post

Me either. But the posts...I have absolutely no idea what they were for. Maybe antennae or graviton field generators? Uh-oh. There I go with that meaningless techonbabble again.
Lighting Rods in Spaaaacccceeeeee!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:04 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore

I think that the dome was actually supposed to be the top of the bridge. In "The Cage" and "The Menagerie", we see the camera literally go through the dome and zoom in on the bridge in Pike's Enterprise.
Exactly, go through the dome and the bulkhead to the bridge underneath. Onscreen, the dome was opaque and glowing.

The idea that the dome at the top of the saucer is actually part of the bridge ceiling kind of began with TNG, but otherwise it was meant to be the opposite to the dome underneath the saucer. Both were meant to be sensor domes--more exterior hull features than sections of the ship's interior, IMO.
Quote:
And on my AMT Cutaway Enterprise model, the dome is actually clear and you can see the bridge through it.
And on my AMT Enterprise model kit from the early '80s it's actually clear but you can't see the bridge through it. I still have the original instruction sheet, which labels it as the "space sensor dome."

So I guess it depends on how you want to interpret it.
Quote:
As far as Pike's E having a taller bridge section, it does. It was lowered in the Kirk-era to make the ship look bigger since the crew compliment went from 203 to 430. Although, we all know from the litteally thousands of technical schematics available that both Pike's and Kirk's Enterprises were in fact the same ship. Only the height of the bridge was different dimensionally.
Yeah, we actually saw three different versions of the classic Enterprise as there was yet another slightly different model used in "Where No Man Has Gone Before."

The irony, is that all three versions were seen throughout the entire series since stock footage of the Enterprises from the two pilots were reused for various episodes (sometimes the Enterprise had grills at the end of its nacelles, sometimes it didn't).
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz
Me either. But the posts...I have absolutely no idea what they were for. Maybe antennae or graviton field generators?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz
Lighting Rods in Spaaaacccceeeeee!
You'd be surprised, but yeah they kind of are (for space-energy)...