The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > Star Trek And Vegetarianism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Commander

Default Star Trek And Vegetarianism

Remember that ENTERPRISE episode at the start of the first season where T'Pol comments on Archer and Trip eating "the flesh of animals." I don't know whether or not it had been established earlier in any of the prior series what the future diet of humanity in the 23rd and 24th century would consist of, but the scene I mention is the first time it hit me that the diet of the future might be very much like the diet of today. There are some people who consider eating the flesh of animals as inconsistent with respect for higher, or intelligent life, which is the mission of Star Trek. That is to search for intelligent life, not to destroy and conquer it, but to respect its existence. So, my question is, is a diet of eating the flesh of animals, IYO, consistent with this or not? And if it is or is not, why or why not?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

I guess a lot of food is replicated in the 24th century but I faintly remember that Picard once mentioned that real caviar, like wine, tastes better than the replicated version.
So Vulcans are obviously more serious about the Prime Directive.

I am a veggie and don't eat fish or meat because I don't wanna kill animals for some pleasure on my taste buds, but I don't think that Starfleet's mission goes so far. There are probably some Klingon-like predatory races in the Federation who eat mainly meat, kinda like the big fishes who ate a lot of small fishes in "Manhunt".
Old 11-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Commander

I think Archer and Trip's steak in that episode was real, otherwise why have a chef? I think in ENTERPRISE some, but not all food on ENTERPRISE was replicated. This was due to an attempt by the show's creators to demonstrate that things were different in the 22nd century vs. the 24th century where over-reliance on technology prevails.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Admiral

Did they replicate food? I kind of got the impression that everything was made from scratch and they got their drinks out of our drink machine equivalent.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 11-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I think Archer and Trip's steak in that episode was real, otherwise why have a chef? I think in ENTERPRISE some, but not all food on ENTERPRISE was replicated. This was due to an attempt by the show's creators to demonstrate that things were different in the 22nd century vs. the 24th century where over-reliance on technology prevails.
Yep, food was real in ENT, the superb chef was mentioned several times but never seen (until Riker played him in his holodeck program in the series finale). Even in the 23rd century, food synthesizers seem to be the exception. Otherwise there wouldn't have been wheat in "Trouble for Tribbles".
About that episode, I think the main intention was to remind us the Vulcans are veggies, that humankind is not so evolved yet (I guess that less meat is eaten in the future or at least more meat is synthesized / replicated) and to show us that the Prime Directive which includes the respect for other lifeforms is a Vulcan rather than a human idea. Not so sure about the last part though as Denobulans also practice the Prime Directive and Phlox happily fed tribbles to his animals or snacked a caterpillar which was originally meant to be food for his animals as well.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Commander

I recall Keiko being slightly shocked when she learned that Miles' mother "didn't believe in replicators" and used to handle real meat.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't honestly believe there is really any connection at all between the prime directive, which is basically a non-interference law, and meat eating.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Commander

Vulcans' vegetarian diet is more of a lifestyle modification in accordance with Vulcan moral and ethical philosophy than anything else. While Surak's "infinate diversity in infinate combinations," may have inspired the Prime Directive, and the Federation's basic outlook on life, the PD didn't exist in ENTERPRISE's time, only later, after the creation of the Federation.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
Did they replicate food? I kind of got the impression that everything was made from scratch and they got their drinks out of our drink machine equivalent.
You are correct that all food was replicated in the 24th century, or at least most of it. So that covers TNG, DS9, and VOY, although Neelix played chef to the crew. We know in ENT, there was no food replication, it was either dispensed or prepared by chef. What about TOS? I'm unfamiliar enough with it to know.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Commander

In the Original Series they could synthesise food out of proteins - but the same technology existed in Enterprise too.

In any era, real food remains a treasured commodity, so it's good to know some things don't change