The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Comments & Suggestions > can we please get along before someone get's upset
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2009, 07:09 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Yep. For most of its history, chocolate was known more as a slightly bitter drink rather than a sweet candy.
Yes!! Now I rememeber, thanks!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Federation Councillor

Not that I thought I'd be looking this up today but!! -
  • Milk chocolate is chocolate with milk powder or condensed milk added. The U.S. Government requires a 10% concentration of chocolate liquor. EU regulations specify a minimum of 25% cocoa solids.[2] In the 1870s, Swiss confectioner Daniel Peter invented the process of solidifying milk chocolate using condensed milk, which was invented by Henri Nestle in the 1800s.[3]
  • Hershey process milk chocolate, invented by Milton S. Hershey, founder of The Hershey Company, can be produced more economically since it is less sensitive to the freshness of the milk. Although the process is still a trade secret, experts speculate that the milk is partially lipolyzed, producing butyric acid, which stabilizes the milk from further fermentation. This compound gives the product a particular sour, "tangy" taste, to which the American public has become accustomed, to the point that other manufacturers now simply add butyric acid to their milk chocolates.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Vice Admiral

we have a chocolate here which is incredible,i think they manufacture it for a 100 years

depicted is with almonds
Old 11-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Not that I thought I'd be looking this up today but!! -
  • Milk chocolate is chocolate with milk powder or condensed milk added. The U.S. Government requires a 10% concentration of chocolate liquor. EU regulations specify a minimum of 25% cocoa solids.[2] In the 1870s, Swiss confectioner Daniel Peter invented the process of solidifying milk chocolate using condensed milk, which was invented by Henri Nestle in the 1800s.[3]
  • Hershey process milk chocolate, invented by Milton S. Hershey, founder of The Hershey Company, can be produced more economically since it is less sensitive to the freshness of the milk. Although the process is still a trade secret, experts speculate that the milk is partially lipolyzed, producing butyric acid, which stabilizes the milk from further fermentation. This compound gives the product a particular sour, "tangy" taste, to which the American public has become accustomed, to the point that other manufacturers now simply add butyric acid to their milk chocolates.
All that does is make me wanna buy a platter of chocolate bars...

Don't know if I agree with "sour and tangy,"--I always thought that better described non milk chocolate--but since my palate is accustomed to the taste, I wouldn't know.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Vice Admiral

Chocolate: Ghiradelli. Made in SanFran. Best in the USA and probably beats Lindt.

Beer: Forget the mass-prduced schwill; try the microbrews and you'll see what we mean about good American beer. (Or just have a Sam Adams.)
Old 11-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Chocolate: Ghiradelli. Made in SanFran. Best in the USA and probably beats Lindt.
I'll give you Ghirardelli - I've been in that San Francisco store and I didn't want to come out of it

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I'll give you Ghirardelli - I've been in that San Francisco store and I didn't want to come out of it
I knew no redcoat loyalist would ever imbibe some of Sam Adams' (Brewer, Patriot) offerings!

Old 11-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
I knew no redcoat loyalist would ever imbibe some of Sam Adams' (Brewer, Patriot) offerings!

Well, in all fairness I don't really drink anyone's beer - I'm more a Spirits drinker!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Cider or Spirits for me. But not for the last 4 weeks

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 11-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
One bad generalization deserves another, because the Europeans really don't know how to make chocolate either.
No. I am sorry, I cannot let this pass! A bad generalisation was indeed made about American chocolate. And although you can split hairs about how 'American' can refer to both sets of land masses, we know that in this case the generalisation made referred specifically to the United States of. That was a bad generalisation. But your one was far worse! You took a whole continent! The whole of Europe! Europe is not one country!

Quote:
All that does is make me wanna buy a platter of chocolate bars...

Don't know if I agree with "sour and tangy,"--I always thought that better described non milk chocolate--but since my palate is accustomed to the taste, I wouldn't know.
Ah, let me assure you, 'sour and tangy' is a good way of putting it. Sour is bad, and sometimes tangy is good, but not in this case. And Herschey chocolate is not 'creamy' either, to whomever said that.
_______
Dark chocolate should be bitter, but never sour.
Milk chocolate should be gently sweet, a round flavour in comparison to the broad spiking of dark chocolate.
White chocolate is usually altogether more sugary, and I don't go in for it much myself. I prefer dark chocolate to the others.

Especially compared to Cadbury's and Galaxy's milk chocolate, they are really sugary and have a granulated flavour, as if the memory of the sugary crystals are breaking through into the flavour...

Herchey's... Well, let's say it's not as bad as vomit, but it is as they have a little bit of vomit mixed into each bar.

Belgian dark chocolate... Whoohw... Very nice, especially one creamy variety that I obtained while in Belgium. Most 'Belgian' chocolates (ones not actually made in Belgium), while still nice, aren't as good as Belgian chocolate made in Belgium!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)