The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > 3 movies total??
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by emlscs View Post
Or maybe (dare I hope) a series?
Would be cool, but no way these actors are all going to join a long-term TV series.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fawkes View Post
If the movie makes money there will be a sequel. I think there is a pretty good chance of that happening.
If they continue to make money they will ride it for as long as possible. I would expect if they lay good foundations here we may see this crew for 6-8 films.
No kidding, after Cloverfield was out for a week, I heard a sequel was already in the works. Now if any movie ever, didn't need a sequel, it's that one! "Oh we forgot about side B of the tape!" Well, we'll pretend there would be a side B.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Gosh, I hope they're not thinking of trying the 'trilogy' ala Star Wars... I don't think Kirk has Darth Vader's level of infamy to sustain a 'origin-type' trilogy. But if they emphasize of Kirk-Spock-McCoy, they may have enough juice to keep a trilogy going.

(Is it too much to ask for an NX-01 movie?
It will be a trilogy a la Trek, not SW. There's nothing wrong with a continuing story arc, it's what makes most sequels good. I'm certain that JJ, Orci and Kurtzman have already got some idea as to where they will go with a trilogy of films. And if you think there's not enough material for a trilogy, then think again. There's tons of material, especially since we have no idea what this film sets up or where it goes. Besides, it's called imagination (something most recent Trek was seriously missing).

If you want more material, you dream it up...it's as endless as a passionate imagination can make it. (Note I said "passionate")

As for an NX-01 movie...I wouldn't hold my breath...it would be very sad to see you asphyxiate since we would miss you.

Quote:
No kidding, after Cloverfield was out for a week, I heard a sequel was already in the works. Now if any movie ever, didn't need a sequel, it's that one! "Oh we forgot about side B of the tape!" Well, we'll pretend there would be a side B.
Livingston, I couldn't disagree with you more. This film was wonderful and flawlessly well crafted. There are layers of info if you watch for it and that takes well thought-out and intricate filmmaking. Everyone I know who saw it loved it and it was very well received by audiences. That's why they're doing a sequel (again, I believe they have some idea of where they want to go with it). This film was a wonderful American retelling of the original Godzilla (which is a classic and did the exact same thing). JJ has stated, however, that the first person POV of the first film would most likely not be used on the second, as that's a one-shot deal. It doesn't work on multiple films. But you can have your opinion...that's fine. Just please, don't use that opinion to in any way judge the new Trek...them's apples and pears.

CE
Old 03-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonyearth View Post
It will be a trilogy a la Trek, not SW. There's nothing wrong with a continuing story arc, it's what makes most sequels good. I'm certain that JJ, Orci and Kurtzman have already got some idea as to where they will go with a trilogy of films. And if you think there's not enough material for a trilogy, then think again. There's tons of material, especially since we have no idea what this film sets up or where it goes. Besides, it's called imagination (something most recent Trek was seriously missing).

CE
after all, it's Her continuing mission.....to seek out(you know the rest)
Old 03-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Lieutenant

I like the idea of locking the same cast in just in case they are successful and want to go the sequel route. Hopefully we DO get three, they all rock and it re-energizes the franchise.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

let's just hope the new one rocks
Old 03-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonyearth View Post

If you want more material, you dream it up...it's as endless as a passionate imagination can make it. (Note I said "passionate")

As for an NX-01 movie...I wouldn't hold my breath...it would be very sad to see you asphyxiate since we would miss you.

Livingston, I couldn't disagree with you more. This film was wonderful and flawlessly well crafted. There are layers of info if you watch for it and that takes well thought-out and intricate filmmaking. Everyone I know who saw it loved it and it was very well received by audiences. That's why they're doing a sequel (again, I believe they have some idea of where they want to go with it). This film was a wonderful American retelling of the original Godzilla (which is a classic and did the exact same thing). JJ has stated, however, that the first person POV of the first film would most likely not be used on the second, as that's a one-shot deal. It doesn't work on multiple films. But you can have your opinion...that's fine. Just please, don't use that opinion to in any way judge the new Trek...them's apples and pears.

CE
Oh no, I'm not judging Trek based on Clover, just was surprised to hear that it already had a sequel in the works. Truth is, I have no idea what this Trek movie is going to be like, like so many others I'd say, so I try to remain open minded about it. If they can make three great movies that will add to the franchise in a way that will help it move forward, then I'm all for it. I think Abrams will deliver a good movie, I like his other work quite a bit and yes, Cloverfield, though he didn't direct was fantastic! I loved Cloverfield, I just don't know how a sequel to it would work. I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just my first thought on hearing it. To me sequels are tough and they can leave a bad taste, impression on it's predecessors. Just look at Nemesis, it wrecked TNG. To me one of the best instances of a remarkable sequel was Godfather Part II. Now seeing Godfather, I might think the same and say, I don't see how a sequel could happen, but they did it. Maybe Cloverfield would work as a sequel but my instincts tell me no.

Last edited by Livingston : 03-16-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Oh no, I'm not judging Trek based on Clover, just was surprised to hear that it already had a sequel in the works. Truth is, I have no idea what this Trek movie is going to be like, like so many others I'd say, so I try to remain open minded about it. If they can make three great movies that will add to the franchise in a way that will help it move forward, then I'm all for it. I think Abrams will deliver a good movie, I like his other work quite a bit and yes, Cloverfield, though he didn't direct was fantastic! I loved Cloverfield, I just don't know how a sequel to it would work. I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just my first thought on hearing it. To me sequels are tough and they can leave a bad taste, impression on it's predecessors. Just look at Nemesis, it wrecked TNG. To me one of the best instances of a remarkable sequel was Godfather Part II. Now seeing Godfather, I might think the same and say, I don't see how a sequel could happen, but they did it. Maybe Cloverfield would work as a sequel but my instincts tell me no.
Nice to know we actually pretty much agree. Sequels are always in iffy thing. However, that said, if they're pre-planned (like more and more are these days) and the filmmakers and writers go into a project with more story already in mind and more character development they want to do and explore, then usually a sequel is good and sometimes even better than the original. A good example of this recently would be X-men and X-men 2 (let's please forget X-men 3 ever happened). Singer built a solid foundation with the first film, but had more story he wanted to tell should the opportunity be made available to him. When it was, he made a bigger and better film now that he had established his characters and his vision for the universe and thus, X-men 2 was a better film overall (X-men 3 would've been an incredible finale had Singer not left and had he been able to complete his story arc he was building. Only a few elements of Singer's trilogy ideas remained in Ratner's horrid and forgetable attempt at a third installment.)

I believe this will be said of Singer's Superman franchise as well once all is said an done. Superman Returns was simply a reintroduction to the characters and setting up where they were...the next one...now that will rock bigtime! I believe the new Batman will also fit this situation.

However, when the sequel was never really planned but was made because the first one did so well, then the 2nd and all subsequent films usually suck more and more progressively with each film. (One exception to this was Alien and Aliens, the 2nd being a different film, but just as good as the original -- but let's not mention the money-hungry attempts at further films after Aliens, they fit the second sequel situation.)

I really do believe that Orci, Kurtzman and JJ and all the rest have already had serious discussions on a bigger arc and sequels and have made this first film in such a way that there is more story and character to build upon and perhaps even an overall story orc. Or at least a minor arc like ST 2-4.

CE

Last edited by colonyearth : 03-16-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Well, I've got a lot of faith in Abrams and Orci and the writing team. They have signed to a three picture deal I think, so hopefully it'll work and we'll get three great movies. That's the thing, at this point, like so many, I just don't know what to expect, I have no idea what this movie's going to be like, I bet it's going to be great, I just have a feeling, but regardless perhaps it'll bring Trek back and if it's in the form of 3 movies, great, maybe that'll give way to a new series, but I would like to see any series move forward, we'll just have to see! That's part of the fun!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Gosh, I hope they're not thinking of trying the 'trilogy' ala Star Wars... I don't think Kirk has Darth Vader's level of infamy to sustain a 'origin-type' trilogy. But if they emphasize of Kirk-Spock-McCoy, they may have enough juice to keep a trilogy going.

(Is it too much to ask for an NX-01 movie?
Star Trek and Star Wars are totally different animals. Star Trek isn't about Jedi Knights protecting the republic, it's about human space travel and meeting new species and exploring new worlds. Don't you think Abrams is aware of the kind of mistakes Lucas made in Episodes #1, 2 and 3 that made them not quite the films they could have been? And we're not talking about the first three retroactive chapters of a six chapter serial about the rise and fall of a republic. We're talking about the genesis of the most famous ship and crew Starfleet ever had. The two really can't be compared like that. Alhough, i must admit a Star Trek vs. Star Wars movie would be really cool. The Enterprise could so take a Star Destroyer to the cleaners. Phasers against mere laser cannons? Give me a large caliber break!

Last edited by Berengarius7 : 03-16-2008 at 10:13 PM.