The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > USS Defiant in FIRST CONTACT??
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I figure Sisko was kept away from the fight for the same reason Picard was. As a man who once lost everything to the Borg, he could become an 'unstable element' in the fight due to fear or vengeance.

That, and keeping DS9's commander at his post would've been a high priority too.
That is a possibility, however, there might well have been several starship captains in the First Contact battle who would have been present at Wolf 359; they could well have lost families too.

I think the reason only applied to Picard, having been assimiliated by the Borg. The "unstable element", IMO, was a fear that he might be still vulnerable to Borg influence, and that fear was a reasonable one, particularly since, once the Enterprise had joined the battle, Picard said to Troi "I can hear them".

Worf - "Die."
Old 10-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Lieutenant

Because it was a TNG movie, thus TNG characters must star. That's the reason. Plain and simple. People wanna see Worf in battle, not Sisko.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Sisko as a captain but Worf is simply bad ***. And quite frankly "Perhaps today is a good day to die!" couldn't of been said by any other person but Worf.

Having Sisko would of been too complicated and wouldn't serve the story. Remember that First Contact is a movie and the first thing writers want is a story that works for the audience. Sisko in the movie would of been sugar coating and "let's please the DS9 fans for no reason."

Sorry if that sounds harsh. Shirley you must allow me to speak my mind!

PS
Don't call me "Shirley."
Old 10-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG_Trekman View Post
Because it was a TNG movie, thus TNG characters must star. That's the reason. Plain and simple. People wanna see Worf in battle, not Sisko.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Sisko as a captain but Worf is simply bad ***. And quite frankly "Perhaps today is a good day to die!" couldn't of been said by any other person but Worf.

Having Sisko would of been too complicated and wouldn't serve the story. Remember that First Contact is a movie and the first thing writers want is a story that works for the audience. Sisko in the movie would of been sugar coating and "let's please the DS9 fans for no reason."

Sorry if that sounds harsh. Shirley you must allow me to speak my mind!

PS
Don't call me "Shirley."
That's the real world reason, but you know Trek fans, they have to have a "Trek Universe" reason as well!

Worf - "Die."
Old 10-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
That's the real world reason, but you know Trek fans, they have to have a "Trek Universe" reason as well!
So true! It really gets in the way at times!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 10-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
They do don't they! I do know this but I just wish we could have real world discussions and treat Star Trek for what it is...a great TV/Film series owned by Paramount and CBS.

I do play along with "Trek Universe" answers sometimes but mostly I like to ground discussions with reality. Im glad you and others agree
Old 10-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Commander

Just curious, does DS9 -during its fifth season- ever acknowledge the damage to Defiant in First Contact? I missed a lot of the show because by that time I had switched to B5 instead.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
Just curious, does DS9 -during its fifth season- ever acknowledge the damage to Defiant in First Contact? I missed a lot of the show because by that time I had switched to B5 instead.
Indirectly - Sisko refers to the recent 'Borg Incident' in the episode in which the new uniforms are introduced. They don't go into detail though.

The episode title eludes me just now.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Commander

^ "In Purgatory's Shadow". It's one of my favourites!! ^_^

========
Actually, there are several instances where Worf is in command of the Defiant.
For example, "Rules of Engagement" where he is on trial for a command decision that he has made.

Also, in "Apocalypse Rising" when Kira says that she's in charge of the station while Sisko is gone, Worf responds with "But I command the Defiant." *after which of course Kira pulls rank on him. But she is on the Defiant (just before) "Rules of Engagement" and although Kira is technically Worf's superior, Worf is in the captain's chair of course.

Sorry if this has been said before I'm just going off more recent posts here.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Lieutenant

What episode aired after the movie premired?.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Should never have appeared.

It made the Defiant look weak by being rescued by the Enterprise, and in the process marginalised DS9

There was no need for Worf to appear in any TNG movie after GEN.