The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > What did you like about Star Trek III
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I like that every character had a moment, scene, couple of scene that belonged to them. That it wasn't just about Kirk or Spock, or Picard & Data. It felt like an ensemble cast film and that carried on into The Voyage Home.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 09-27-2009, 03:10 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
what did you think of spock coming back
The clues were there from early on in TWOK, but it wasn't easy to see unless you were really paying attention. The Genesis Project was all about "life from lifelessness," and seeing Spock's torpedo casket intact on the newly-formed Genesis planet was the hint that there was a way for Spock to come back.

Today, it's previous obvious, but back in 1982--not so much, especially with reports at the time that Leonard Nimoy wanted to leave acting and move to directing and other stuff. It wasn't until we heard that Star Trek III would be subtitled "The Search For Spock" that we were relatively certain that Spock would be back...
Old 09-27-2009, 04:14 AM
Federation Councillor

Indeed, these days it's baffling how anyone viewing the casket, in combination with Kirk's last words about 'returning' and Spock's 'remember' during the mindmeld could leave thinking anything other than what it meant for Spock.

Although the latter at least was not part of the original script.

But Genesis was not supposed to be human life from lifelessness. If anything it was nothing more than yet another unforseen side-effect of a dangerously ill-thought out project - never part of the original brief of it's purpose. In effect, the writers did they best they could from TWOK and said 'what if........' with regard to Spock's body.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-27-2009, 04:35 AM
Rear Admiral

One of the things that made the Genesis Project so controversial was how it could be perverted into something other than what it was originally designed for--to turn lifeless planets into life-sustaining ones. The regeneration of Spock's body was not planned, but it was definitely within the Genesis Device's capabilities since it was also designed to generate new fauna as well as flora, according to Carol Marcus. Bringing the dead back to life is another new perversion of the Genesis Project on top of its ability to be used as a weapon to wipe out all existing life on a planet.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:37 AM
Lieutenant

I loved all the new ship designs, and I think all of the effects rocked in this movie, especially those space dock scenes. The destruction of the Enterprise was as heart rending as Spocks death in TWOK. I think this is a highly underated film, and more than any other shows that 'odd numbered ' Treks can be good, contrary to popular belief!
Great soundtrack too.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Federation Councillor

It's definitely the exception to the odd-numbered movie legend. It's my joint No.1 with TWOK.

courtesy of Saquist