The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Literature > Novels, Novellas, Short Stories > Rugal's back! in "Never-Ending Sacrifice"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Rear Admiral

Exclamation Rugal's back! in "Never-Ending Sacrifice"

I just picked up the new Deep Space Nine novel The Never-Ending Sacrifice by Uma McCormick, and I've got to say that I've been laying on the bed for the past several hours reading it. Right now I'm up to page 64. It's a great read and I am already interested as to what happens next. I'm only on chapter three, haha!

The novel basically picks up with Rugal and his hard times growing up as a Cardassian who thinks he is a Bajoran. He was brought up to hate his own people. This is what happens in the episode "Cardassians". Here's some more information of Rugal here. I recommend you check out this book! Even though I'm still reading it, it's interesting and takes you off the space station and into the personal life of a minor character. So, instead of being in the perspective of Starfleet, we are now in the perspective of Cardassia and Bajor.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 10-07-2009, 02:24 AM
Commander

Yeah everyone's been saying it's quite good. I haven't been managing to get it yet (Apparently didn't come into any nearby store until 1st October) but I always wondered about Rugal and his continued story so I'm quite glad someone's written this book.

Definitely looking forward to finally getting to read it as I think I quite like some other Una McCormack books I read (even though for this moment I can't quite place which ones they are.)
Old 10-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukalakana View Post
Yeah everyone's been saying it's quite good. I haven't been managing to get it yet (Apparently didn't come into any nearby store until 1st October) but I always wondered about Rugal and his continued story so I'm quite glad someone's written this book.

Definitely looking forward to finally getting to read it as I think I quite like some other Una McCormack books I read (even though for this moment I can't quite place which ones they are.)
Let us know what you think of the book when/if you read it.

Fans Expendable
Old 12-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The concept is pain (didn't we get enough of a Great Expectations rip-off already from Garak's book?) but the execution is good. I was pleasantly surprised by some of the turns the book took.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoW mAn View Post
The concept is pain (didn't we get enough of a Great Expectations rip-off already from Garak's book?) but the execution is good. I was pleasantly surprised by some of the turns the book took.
It was also easier to understand compared to Garak's "A Stich in Time". I kind of got the same feel from the cover if you look at "The Never Ending Sacrifice", but just the covers were similar. Everything else inside the book was totally different. Yes it did regard the events of the Dominion War, but it was all told through different eyes which made it all the more unique.

Fans Expendable
Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
Let us know what you think of the book when/if you read it.
Read it. Liked it.

It took me until chapter two probably to get fully "into" the story -- I think much of the first chapter was kind of skating over the events of and directly following Cardassians, so it wasn't until chapter two that it really seemed to become it's own story, so to speak.

Rugal has been accused of being too "emo" -- Can't recall if that was from anyone here or on another site. Probably somewhere on startrek.com. Anyhow, that is possibly true, but I didn't see it. Think of this: 1. He's a teenage boy (at least at the beginning) who acts like a teenage boy. Teens are "emo" by nature. 2. The situation he is in is one which he hates and does not see any workable immediate solution to find his way out.

I liked some of the original characters. There were occasional times when others like Ziyal seemed a little forced into the story but apart from that no problem. It was an interesting saga and especially to see the path that Rugal took as he grew up. There were parts I would have liked to have seen in more detail, particularly the Dominion War and their reactions to Damar's resistance movement. Although that having been said, finding out about the aftermath for Humans and Cardassians in the Federation (Maquis) colonies particularly was interesting.

I guess there's only so much detail that one can put into a saga.

Strange thing was that there were times when I didn't feel like I was reading about the kid from Cardassians. Perhaps it was changes in Rugal's personality but at times I felt like I was reading about some random Cardassian OC. But I think Rugal is one of those characters who wasn't particularly memorable in himself (I'm talking about in the telly series now) but where the "end" of his story left so many unanswered questions that he was one of those characters I always thought I would like to hear his continued story.

Now if Only someone would write The Continued Adventures of Pel....
Old 01-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Vice Admiral

Great book. I recommend it to everyone
Old 01-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoW mAn View Post
How is Rugal's story in any way similar to Great Expectations?
Old 01-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilEyes View Post
How is Rugal's story in any way similar to Great Expectations?
Erm...

They're both books.
They're both in English.
They both have Cardassians in them... ok perhaps not that.

... That's it. I'm out of similarities.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukalakana View Post
Erm...

They're both books.
They're both in English.
They both have Cardassians in them... ok perhaps not that.

... That's it. I'm out of similarities.

They're both about a teenage boy.
In both books, the boy falls in love with a girl.

That's a very rare theme in fiction.