The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > I May Have Some Good News.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2009, 06:52 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
As did I. Hearkens back to some art from the old Peter Pan/Power Records covers.
Like this?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
It could also be interpreted as warp drive used for sublight speed. Kinda like driving car and starting with the third gear.
Or you could argue that they thought that putting some impulse engines in the nacelles was a good idea this time round! That is what I assumed (thereby giving them the benefit of the doubt).

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 10-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Here's that Nvision article. I completely forgot it was Rod Roddenberry that they were talking to near the end.

STAR TREK BOLDLY GOES HOME
With new blu-rays and games on the way, the rejuvenated franchise sets phasers to explode the boundaries of your TV and PC screens.
By John Gaudiosi

J.J. Abrams' reboot of the Star Trek franchise generated over $375 million worldwide and has reinvigorated Paramount Pictures' sci-fi property. Not only can fans of the new film pick up its Blu-ray disc and DVD home release on Nov. 17, but on Sept. 22, the entire collection of original Star Trek films will debut on Blu-ray alongside new DVD versions loaded with extras. In addition, on that same date, the second season of the original Star Trek TV series makes its Blu-ray debut.

"I cannot wait for fans of Star Trek to check out the home entertainment release of the [new[ film," said Abrams. "The behind-the-scenes features on the DVD--and especially the Blu-ray--give a wonderful look at the crazy hard work and incredible fun that went into making the movie."

"The cast and crew were truly extraordinary to work with--watching the special features, you'll see why." Added Abrams. "And for people who didn't catch Star Trek in the theater, I hope they do now, as Paramount has done an exceptional job with this release; the picture and sound quality are both excellent."

Brian J. Pohl, previsualization supervisor and co-owner of visual effects company Persistence of Vision (POV), worked with Abrams on the recent film, which used POV's Previs technology to give the director more visual options in a shorter period of time.

"Unified character animation rigs with Maya could exchange animation data to and from each 3D character, while high-speed renderings in Maya's hardware render buffer would generate images with alpha channels that we could composite in After Effects," explained Pohl, "The end result was beautifully hardware-rendered shots with precise visual controls that could be offloaded into Final Cut Pro for editing. After constructing over 14 different sequences and nearly 45-50 minutes of rendered animation, this process would not have been possible without a reliable graphics outline."

Whether watching the 1080p HD Blu-ray, the DVD, or the free digital copy that comes with both versions, enthusiasts can take and extended look at Previs in action by watching the "Space Jump" scene, where Kirk, Sulu, and Olson dive into Vulcan's atmosphere to shut down the Romulan energy drill boring a hole into Vulcan. Pohl said this sequence went through four revisional processes and took a four-man previsualization team nearly three months to complete.

"This sequence was unquestionably Mr. Abrams' primary action focus for the film, so it had to be done correctly." added Pohl. "Accurate dimensions of the live action drilling platform set were required to insure actor and camera placement between Previs and the real world. It was a great scene."

Coinciding with these home entertainment releases is the launch of the PC version of Star Trek: D-A-C from Paramount Digital Entertainment . The game is currently available via digital distribution on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network Store. Both the Star Trek two-disc DVD and three-disc Blu-ray come with a free trial of the Xbox 360 game and links to both the PC and PS3 games. The PC version exclusively supports NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision technology, bringing the space combat out of the monitor and into the faces of Trekkers."3D Vision literally adds a dimension to the game that, once you've experienced, makes it hard to go back to playing the 'old way,' " said Ben Hoyt, senior producer at Paramount Digital Entertainment. "What was most impressive was how easy it was to get it working. With a very small amount of work by the development team we had a highly playable 3D game. Once that was done, it was largely a question of looking at the game and trying to figure out how many more ways we could leverage the 3D technology for even more impact."
David Baronoff, who worked on the game at Abrams' Bad Robot production studio, added that 3D technology takes these great visuals to another level.

"D-A-C is a really fun game that lets you quickly get into the action," said Bernoff, "The great thing is, it's just one of countless ways Star Trek lends itself to the gaming world. Being able to draw on things like its epic space battles, team-based strategy, and prodigious exploration, we're extremely excited to be working on truly novel ways for Star Trek to being your console PC to life."

For those PC gamers who haven't upgraded to 3D, D-A-C will leverage PhysX for certain systems, particularly some of the more complicated particle systems. On the other end of the spectrum, the game has been optimized for NVIDIA's technology, which allows the space combat action to play out on inexpensive netbooks PC's.

Although you'll have to wait until 2010, you'll be able to further explore the sci-fi universe when Atari releases Cryptic Studios' Star Trek Online. The massively multiplayer online game will literally open up the universe to gamers for a very different and more social interaction then they've ever experienced before.

"I am excited about the MMO game because many, many, many, years ago we approached Paramount to do one," said Rod Roddenberry, son of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry. "Star Trek is pretty well established. All you have to do is get talented developers and 3D artists behind this and everything else is already there--and lends itself perfectly."

Given the new fanbase that the film reboot has attracted to the property, Atari and Cryptic Studios hope to attract a more mainstream audience with their MMO game experience. Taking a page from the recent film, the developer has signed Leonard Nimoy to provide original voice work for the game.

Roddenberry believes more Star Trek will be coming down the pipeline. CBS, which has the television rights for the property, is expected to offer viewers a new serialized adventure in the near future. And given the global box office haul of the movie, Roddenberry said a film sequel is essentially a no-brainer. After going nowhere for quite some time., Star Trek has set a new course for respectability. Case in point, the BD Live functionality of the Star Trek Blu-ray includes a NASA News section to see the latest headlines on real space exploration through your PC, PlayStation 3, or connected Blu-ray player.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Like this?

Yep I have quite a few of those 45s. And I have them all in MP3 format along with PDFs of the comics.

That first pic is one I need to get! I only had one 33 and I believe it only had four stories on it.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

WOW! I remember those records. They weren't too bad for kids' stories. To Starve A Fleaver was a good story.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
WOW! I remember those records. They weren't too bad for kids' stories. To Starve A Fleaver was a good story.

You can find that one and more here:

http://powerrecordsplaza.blogspot.com/