The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > If you had your way what would you have changed
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 06:57 AM
Commander

I agree the nacelles could have been a shwee smaller.
But as for the idea of the effects being more like past films?
No....that's just a step backward for personal nostolgia's sake, when the film has to compete with other sci-fi properties on the market.
Thrumming warp core we may yet get.
And not once did I get a Star Wars vibe, actually.
This came across as something completely different.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Cain View Post
No....that's just a step backward for personal nostolgia's sake, when the film has to compete with other sci-fi properties on the market.
Same here!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Lieutenant

I agree with Vincent on that last point; never once did I feel the warp effect was "Star Wars," nor did I feel the warp effect was the reason they didn't have information on the situation at Vulcan as they approached. (It was clear, to me at least, that the area was being jammed, affecting both comms and sensors.)

You gents may continue your thread-jacking at your leisure.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 10-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
A step backward? In all incarnations the effects were slightly different, but similar in a way you could see the progression. If you are speaking of Nostalgia, then why the hell did they choose to do a TOS reboot? That's nostalgic on it's own. I am in NO way saying the effects should have been directly ported from past Trek variations, but at least keep some similarity. I didn't see the "warp" stretching effect, I didn't see a Trek transporter effect, and on and on. O f course I expected something new and different, but not COMPLETELY different. The story has way too many things that were stupid so I won't even start on that road.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
I agree with Vincent on that last point; never once did I feel the warp effect was "Star Wars," nor did I feel the warp effect was the reason they didn't have information on the situation at Vulcan as they approached. (It was clear, to me at least, that the area was being jammed, affecting both comms and sensors.)

You gents may continue your thread-jacking at your leisure.
Even if comms and sensors were being jammed, don;t you think it is more than slightly stupid to warp right smack into an area that is being jammed? When is flying in blind a good idea? How about dropping out of warp early enough to get a better look? Dang it! I didn't want to start on the stupid parts of the movie!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
A step backward? In all incarnations the effects were slightly different, but similar in a way you could see the progression. If you are speaking of Nostalgia, then why the hell did they choose to do a TOS reboot? That's nostalgic on it's own. I am in NO way saying the effects should have been directly ported from past Trek variations, but at least keep some similarity. I didn't see the "warp" stretching effect, I didn't see a Trek transporter effect, and on and on. O f course I expected something new and different, but not COMPLETELY different. The story has way too many things that were stupid so I won't even start on that road.
I tend to chalk that up the new universe/new trek philosophy of the film.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Commander

Quote:
You're right; you saw new takes on those effects; you're arguing over personal nostolgia which unfortunately I find, is weak at best.
And for the record, the stretching warp effect always bugged the hell out of me.

Quote:
Even if comms and sensors were being jammed, don;t you think it is more than slightly stupid to warp right smack into an area that is being jammed? When is flying in blind a good idea? How about dropping out of warp early enough to get a better look? Dang it! I didn't want to start on the stupid parts of the movie!
And what would they do from a distance?
Sit in the briefing room ala' TNG, while Vulcan is still under attack?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:

And what would they do from a distance?
Sit in the briefing room ala' TNG, while Vulcan is still under attack?
Dropping out of warp at a distance gives you an opportunity to see what the situation is and does NOT mean remaining at a distance. Are you really defending the idiotic idea that is is better to drop out of warp directly in an area where you know NOTHING? Please, even dropping out of warp within a few seconds of your destination (at impulse) is FAR better than dropping out directly in the middle of a clusterf**k. All I saw was a weak attempt at recreating the scene in Star Wars where the MF drops out of hyperspace directly in a debris field. Either way you look at it, sensors do not work while at warp or sensors were being jammed, it makes no sense to not give yourself a few seconds to see what the hell you are walking into. In SW the scene worked fine because they fly blind while in hyperspace and they did not expect a debris field where a planet should have been. In NuTrek it was just plain stupid... stupid for elitest Trek fans like myself.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
You're right; you saw new takes on those effects; you're arguing over personal nostolgia which unfortunately I find, is weak at best.
Your on a Trek forum and you are calling personal taste a weak argument? I never said my liking of past Trek effects was NOT based on personal likes and dislikes. We all have different tastes. Some like the 1701-D better than the 1701-E. I don't care if some Trek fan blabs off all the tech manual specs regarding why he/she likes one over the other, it is still a personal choice. Same goes for TNG transporter effect versus VOY transporter effect. They are different, yet similar. I like the VOY effect better because of the way it starts at "center mass" and then goes outward to cover the entire body/item. Again, personal taste.

You don't find a TOS reboot to be nostalgic? The entire damn movie is nostalgia.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Dropping out of warp at a distance gives you an opportunity to see what the situation is and does NOT mean remaining at a distance. Are you really defending the idiotic idea that is is better to drop out of warp directly in an area where you know NOTHING? Please, even dropping out of warp within a few seconds of your destination (at impulse) is FAR better than dropping out directly in the middle of a clusterf**k. All I saw was a weak attempt at recreating the scene in Star Wars where the MF drops out of hyperspace directly in a debris field. Either way you look at it, sensors do not work while at warp or sensors were being jammed, it makes no sense to not give yourself a few seconds to see what the hell you are walking into. In SW the scene worked fine because they fly blind while in hyperspace and they did not expect a debris field where a planet should have been. In NuTrek it was just plain stupid... stupid for elitest Trek fans like myself.
Hmmm I seem to remember inconsitant ship abilites all throught TOS, why should a Nu/TOS film be any diffrent?

Sensors allways worked at warp on TOS, I could site numerous examples.

I love Trek ,and TOS, but let's be honest TOS and Trek have not been overly consitant about warp speed, sensors abilites, sheild capabilites. Why should this film?

Trek's Warp speed and SW's Hyperspace are two mutally exclusive things. Your comparing apples and organes with this one.

It was an emergency situation, as TJ said, it is reasobale to assume that the comm channel and sensors were jammed with interference. So I would assume they used best guess, makes sense. they didn't have the time to drop out of warp outside the system, then plod along at impulse..