The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Favorite Pilot Episode?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 10-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
To me, WNMHGB feels a lot more like a pilot than The Cage did. The Cage, to me, has a mini-movie kinda feeling to it.
Agreed, and the story was pretty spohisticed for 1964 TV.

I think those two elemets are what caused The Cage to get panned by the networks.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-08-2009, 06:50 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Agreed, and the story was pretty spohisticed for 1964 TV.

I think those two elemets are what caused The Cage to get panned by the networks.
Yep. I agree.

I also think that WNMHGB is one of the weakest episodes of season one, not due to it's being a pilot, but just a weak story. When it comes down to it, it's just kinda boring.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Yep. I agree.

I also think that WNMHGB is one of the weakest episodes of season one, not due to it's being a pilot, but just a weak story. When it comes down to it, it's just kinda boring.
It suffers, not from a bad script or story, but no clear charater direction. Happens alot in pilots. This makes sense sicne the show had basically been toally retooled after The Cage.

No one has any basis for their charaters to draw on, so it looks like, and is fact, they are winging it.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-08-2009, 07:08 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
It suffers, not from a bad script or story, but no clear charater direction. Happens alot in pilots. This makes sense sicne the show had basically been toally retooled after The Cage.

No one has any basis for their charaters to draw on, so it looks like, and is fact, they are winging it.
I still think the story is weaker than what The Cage had to offer. The whole ESP thing isn't all that fascinating. Mitchell becoming a "God," that's a good concept, but there wasn't enough time to really flesh him out completely.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I still think the story is weaker than what The Cage had to offer. The whole ESP thing isn't all that fascinating. Mitchell becoming a "God," that's a good concept, but there wasn't enough time to really flesh him out completely.
It was a pretty heady idea for 1966 TV. ESP was still fascintaing in '66.

The Cage is indeed a stronger scrpit that survived even being chopped into The Menagerie, still think that was an inspired use of an unsold pilot!
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-08-2009, 07:19 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

The Cage is the living proof that intelligent sci-fi stories sell, contrary to the belief that only silly movies or TV series sell en masse.
But studio executives who produce Trek today have not learned anything from Trek's history.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-08-2009, 07:19 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
It was a pretty heady idea for 1966 TV. ESP was still fascintaing in '66.

The Cage is indeed a stronger scrpit that survived even being chopped into The Menagerie, still think that was an inspired use of an unsold pilot!
Agreed. The Menagerie is fantastic!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
The Cage is the living proof that intelligent sci-fi stories sell, contrary to the belief that only silly movies or TV series sell en masse.
But studio executives who produce Trek today have not learned anything from Trek's history.
But, that can be said for most TV shows and films. I blame the Hollywood climate more than I blame the crerators of Trek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Agreed. The Menagerie is fantastic!
So simple, yet so prefect.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:22 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.