The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Deep Space Nine > How many live on DS9?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
An often complaint by some fans is that Sisko should have been a captain (if not a one-pip admiral) when he first took command of DS9. But since the station only had a permanant population of 300, it's not surprising that it only rated a commander's billet at the time, IMO...
I've seen a Lt. Cmdr. who captained a frigate when I was in. Your right you don't have to be of captains' rank to hold a command. There are usually far more billets than there are personnel of captain's rank and above.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Commander

I figure DS9's population would've gone up over time: a big hike once the Wormhole's importance became apparent, then an even-bigger jump as military tensions increased with the Klingons, then the Dominion. The place basically went from being an outpost to a fortress in the space of only a few years, which would've had a big impact on its staffing requirements.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:06 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I am not sure of this, on Captive Pursuit, Miles O'Brien told Tosk that there were 300 people on DS9, and another place later in the series, someone said there were more than 1200 people on DS9? Anyone have any iron clad answers?
At another stage someone mentioned a population of 2000.

Mind you, Captive Pursuit was at the very first season -- one oughtn't discount the possibility that the station's population (as happens with many out of the way communities) grows and / or shrinks at various times.

As for Sisko's rank. I thought it was a good touch that they didn't make him a captain at first -- and indeed many of the central positions were filled by people of lower rank than would have taken those positions on the Enterprise, say. It speaks in quite a subtle way as to (a) the relative unimportance of DS9 at the very beginning, as a run down "frontier" facility, and (b) its increasing importance over time as Sisko is promoted to Captain and some of its other key officers also achieve promotion.

Last edited by kukalakana : 10-07-2009 at 02:09 AM.