The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > Space Plane on the Enterprise intro
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

For budgetary reasons, the E² set was simply reused and the pulse thingies distinguished the Columbia in Affliction/Divergence from the Enterprise. They looked fine in the zoom-in shot and all the other action-packed sequence.
So IMO they were fine for the two-parter, but in a slower episode with longer and quieter Columbia bridge shots, they might have been annoying.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:02 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
For budgetary reasons, the E² set was simply reused and the pulse thingies distinguished the Columbia in Affliction/Divergence from the Enterprise. They looked fine in the zoom-in shot and all the other action-packed sequence.
So IMO they were fine for the two-parter, but in a slower episode with longer and quieter Columbia bridge shots, they might have been annoying.
I agree, the pics back you up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nx02-columbia-bridge.jpg (50.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg columbiapatch.jpg (40.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg columbia-nx-02-affliction-11.jpg (42.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg nx_02_000.jpg (50.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Commander

Externally there were some nice differences to distinguish the two like the deflector dish and slight difference in hull colour for example. Shame the bridge didn't also get a few subtle changes, an extra console here, a sign on the doors, maybe keep the pulse thingies but just keep them on and dimmer rather than pulsing, would have been cheaper and less distracting.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:21 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
Externally there were some nice differences to distinguish the two like the deflector dish and slight difference in hull colour for example. Shame the bridge didn't also get a few subtle changes, an extra console here, a sign on the doors, maybe keep the pulse thingies but just keep them on and dimmer rather than pulsing, would have been cheaper and less distracting.
It was like on TOS the 1-2-3 times we saw another Starship bridge, it was just a minor redress of the ENT bridge. I would assume Starship classes are basically all laid out the same.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:42 AM
Commander

I reckon that once a class is proven the layouts like you say are all probably the same or virtually the same, so after the constitution there's probably not much difference between the other dozen or so connies during the TOS time.

It's understandable that there's differences between the 01 and 02, and at the end of the day it made things easier for the casual viewer to follow the action so makes sense I guess.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:50 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
I reckon that once a class is proven the layouts like you say are all probably the same or virtually the same, so after the constitution there's probably not much difference between the other dozen or so connies during the TOS time.

It's understandable that there's differences between the 01 and 02, and at the end of the day it made things easier for the casual viewer to follow the action so makes sense I guess.
I could see imporvements to later NX models as the ENT is put through paces, but I would imagine at least on the surface, they would be identical.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Thanks for that info, I have seen that two parter two or three times but never noticed the different deflector.
If memory serves there was also a slightly different usage of colours on bridge panels (but I'd have to rewatch the episodes to be sure).

I thought that the subtle differences between two ships of the same class were great, a novelty in Trek.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Thanks for that info, I have seen that two parter two or three times but never noticed the different deflector.
If memory serves there was also a slightly different usage of colours on bridge panels (but I'd have to rewatch the episodes to be sure).

I thought that the subtle differences between two ships of the same class were great, a novelty in Trek.

Looks like it crashed.....