The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Let's all design the Enterprise TOGETHER
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Lieutenant Commander

So here's probably the design I've put the most heart, soul and effort into.

I drew this for my friend for his birthday a week ago. As you can see from the design, I really love my friend.

What do you guys think?

Top Down view. The saucer section is a little crooked because I fail at drawing properly, so don't hold it against the design, hold it against me if you must. And if you can, you can take the design and straighten out the rough spots if you want.

Side view. Same applies if you want to change anything, go ahead.

Front view. I think this view is perfect, but you can still change it if you want to.

All 3 views.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Hey Rus, I got your PM, and now I'm here to critique your design!

First off, my honest opinion is that it resembles a Sovereign-class (at least, from the front it does) refitted to newer techology. Very little of the design seems to be original material, it seems too...familiar. I think this would make a PERFECT Enterprise-F, but it will also always be compared to the Sovereign-class. In fact, calling it a Sovereign-class refit may be a good idea. Still, I really like it! You took an already sleek design and made it sleeker. The nacelles remind me of a cross between the refit-Enterprise in TMP and the Akira-class in FIRST CONTACT. In conclusion, although the design isn't completely original, I wouldn't be surprised if fans love it anyway. Just look at the number of fans who prefer the Enterprise refit to the original Connie.

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 09-25-2009, 01:57 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

I like it!

Especially the top view, a nice mix of the current style and Art Deco!

Also, nobody should be holding anything against you or your drawings for not being neat in freehand - almost nobody is! Plus, you are only designing, not draughting! And if you were draghting, you would be using drawing instruments, so it would be neat anyway!

This is what it would look like mostly symmetrical:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f6e233f7.jpg (38.2 KB, 5 views)

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 09-25-2009, 04:35 AM
Fleet Admiral

Your lines are getting straighter.
The projections are lining up from one view to another.
The Fore view is real crisp and symetrical. It's the best view.
You're refining your work Rus, excellent job and welcome back.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Archer View Post
First off, my honest opinion is that it resembles a Sovereign-class (at least, from the front it does) refitted to newer techology. Very little of the design seems to be original material, it seems too...familiar. I think this would make a PERFECT Enterprise-F, but it will also always be compared to the Sovereign-class. In fact, calling it a Sovereign-class refit may be a good idea.
Thats the problem, no dig at the quality of the drawings or design. But there are no original ship ideas left anymore unless going totally out of the box. It has no relation to how well done the eventual model could be. The perfect example is Ent-J which alot of people either love or hate with a passion, more so than any other 'official' ship design. But nobody can argue with its 'in-universe' originality yet still being within the basic Ent realm. Flying saucer + 3 pipes (TOS) or pizza cutter impression not withstanding.

So take this to the next step. I agree it will be very hard if not impossible to get away from pre-existing designs. Not after 40+ years. Considering this design finished, modeling it, and calling it a refit is a great idea. Many can use a pencil and make a good ship. Fewer can make it look great with excellent mesh and texture detail. Fewer than that can take it and make a great animation. There are limitless possibilities there for something original.

In its simplest terms in order of importance, least to most
ship design: many people
above + detailed mesh: fewer people
above + texturing: even fewer
above + simple animation:
--- the end if the goal is a ship design technical achievement only
above + cinematography (a compelling visual story):
above + environment:
above + multiple animations (ship battles etc):
above + env effects: extremely few can do well up to this point

End of a very long post. Some would probably rearrange the list but ship design becomes less important. Its certainly huge plate to suggest to anyone. Just to put things into context and why IMHO I would consider the design finished and move on to modeling and texturing it.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Archer View Post
Hey Rus, I got your PM, and now I'm here to critique your design!

First off, my honest opinion is that it resembles a Sovereign-class (at least, from the front it does) refitted to newer techology. Very little of the design seems to be original material, it seems too...familiar. I think this would make a PERFECT Enterprise-F, but it will also always be compared to the Sovereign-class. In fact, calling it a Sovereign-class refit may be a good idea. Still, I really like it! You took an already sleek design and made it sleeker. The nacelles remind me of a cross between the refit-Enterprise in TMP and the Akira-class in FIRST CONTACT. In conclusion, although the design isn't completely original, I wouldn't be surprised if fans love it anyway. Just look at the number of fans who prefer the Enterprise refit to the original Connie.
Well it's actually more of a refit of the ship I designed a couple pages back.

Remember this ship?

And this is the 'refit'.

And the fact that it looks like the Sovereign is because I did first and foremost design this as a birthday present for my friend, who is a big fan of the Sovereign class.

It's more of a ship based in the Sovereign era rather than a refit of the Sovereign itself.

DNA, thanks for the symmetry fix. It does look better now. But can I ask you to use the more rounded bottom side of the saucer for another pic? I think it would look even better than the slightly pointed top side of the saucer that you used.

Thanks Saq.

That was a pretty big tangent Sam, but it is enlightening to know. So what do you think of the ship on its own merits?
Old 09-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Vice Admiral

On its own merits its a nice refit-ish design. A rough low poly model could be made relatively quickly and this is a good time to flesh out how things look in a true 3D environment. Example: sweeping the pylons even further back, at least at a 45, could look good on the top view but might not on the side. Also, most of the ship is made of nice curves but the long straight line at the top and bottom of the engines seem out of place. Some further detailing will help that greatly. But with the flat bottom they might not be out of place at all.

However after all the work you put into the drawings at this point the only way to know for sure is with a basic model since we all look at ships at non-orthographic angles 99% of the time. The 3-view you have will work great for image planes.

Yes that was a long list. Lets say your goal is to make a great ship mesh and fly it, making it look like it was on some kind of simple mission with a beginning, middle and ending. Not just an eye-candy flyby. Your design as it is now will look great in the total package.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:28 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtsRuS View Post
Well it's actually more of a refit of the ship I designed a couple pages back.

DNA, thanks for the symmetry fix. It does look better now. But can I ask you to use the more rounded bottom side of the saucer for another pic? I think it would look even better than the slightly pointed top side of the saucer that you used.
Your welcome! If I get some time in the next week, sure!

And, a brief note: I actually prefer your pre refit...

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)