The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What Did Scotty Do?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
A certain beagle.
Hmmm is it Porthos....or a decendant? How long do dogs live in the 23rd century?
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-24-2009, 12:49 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Cloning.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-24-2009, 01:16 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

If he was going to do that he'd have done it within the first 6 months.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Admiral Archer's Avatar
Admiral Archer Admiral Archer is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Foothill Ranch, CA
Posts: 746
Default

I never did forgive him for what he did to my dog...
__________________
"To boldly go where no man has gone before"

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-24-2009, 01:36 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Archer View Post
I never did forgive him for what he did to my dog...
But luckily, given the age you must be - you'll probably forget about it.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Admiral Archer's Avatar
Admiral Archer Admiral Archer is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Foothill Ranch, CA
Posts: 746
Default

What did you say, there, sonny? I couldn't quite hear you! "Where's your mommy"? Well, I don't know!
__________________
"To boldly go where no man has gone before"

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-24-2009, 04:55 PM
TJJones's Avatar
TJJones TJJones is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Hmmm is it Porthos....or a decendant? How long do dogs live in the 23rd century?
I know that was tongue in cheek, but to actually tackle the question...

I don't know how the lifespan of domesticated dogs has changed over the centuries, but the third-season Enterprise episode "Twilight" has a deleted scene of a older Porthos in 2165.

Since the character in mid-2150 was portrayed by the same beagle(s) for the late-2151 character (as noted in the first-season episode "Shockwave"), it's likely Porthos was already full-grown by the mid-2150s. Beagles are fully grown by the age of 18 months, so this would suggest a birth date no later than the beginning of 2149 and that Porthos would live, at the very least, beyond the age of 16 (barring a fatal illness or injury after 2161 in the regular Enterprise time line).

So, we'll make an assumption that 22nd Century beagles can live, on average 16-17 years.

Archer got Porthos when he was six weeks old. Let's assume that Porthos' replacements are all acquired before the age of six months, and that Archer probably waited an "amount of time" before replacing a long-time companion (half a year or so), giving us a 16-17 year average per pet. The "prize beagle" lost in Mr. Scott's transporter accident is likely Archer's 6th pet to follow Porthos.

Okay, so that was a complete misuse of analysis...you could probably say it was completely anal...
__________________
Davy Jones
Your Friendly, Neighborhood, Navy Vet!

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy


Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-24-2009, 06:00 PM
samwiseb samwiseb is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
Poor Porthos! OH OH Wait Porthos is the next villian! He landed on a planet and mutated into a monster! Ya ya thats it.... or not.
Didn't we already do that one? I seem to remember a sixth season TNG episode...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-25-2009, 04:52 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
I know that was tongue in cheek, but to actually tackle the question...

I don't know how the lifespan of domesticated dogs has changed over the centuries, but the third-season Enterprise episode "Twilight" has a deleted scene of a older Porthos in 2165.

Since the character in mid-2150 was portrayed by the same beagle(s) for the late-2151 character (as noted in the first-season episode "Shockwave"), it's likely Porthos was already full-grown by the mid-2150s. Beagles are fully grown by the age of 18 months, so this would suggest a birth date no later than the beginning of 2149 and that Porthos would live, at the very least, beyond the age of 16 (barring a fatal illness or injury after 2161 in the regular Enterprise time line).

So, we'll make an assumption that 22nd Century beagles can live, on average 16-17 years.

Archer got Porthos when he was six weeks old. Let's assume that Porthos' replacements are all acquired before the age of six months, and that Archer probably waited an "amount of time" before replacing a long-time companion (half a year or so), giving us a 16-17 year average per pet. The "prize beagle" lost in Mr. Scott's transporter accident is likely Archer's 6th pet to follow Porthos.

Okay, so that was a complete misuse of analysis...you could probably say it was completely anal...
So...maybe Porthos is cloned??? I know cloning humans in the ST universe is a no no, but dogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Archer View Post
What did you say, there, sonny? I couldn't quite hear you! "Where's your mommy"? Well, I don't know!
Archer:"Well in my day sonny, when we wanted to go warp 5, we got out and pushed!! You have it so easy with yer food slots and reliable transporters!!"
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.