The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Literature > Novels, Novellas, Short Stories > Star Trek: Destiny--OMG! (HUGE SPOILERS!)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
But they did the same thing as has been done in Star Trek before - pretend to kill people off.

Honestly, one of these days a character will finally stay down!!
It's a common theme in a lot of different franchises, primarily comics. Look at how many DC Universe characters have been killed off and reborn or resurrected or trapped in a parallel universe in the comics.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:50 AM
Rear Admiral

The thing about the fake death of Torres that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth (other than it being a silly and out of character gimmick to begin with) is that her story was actually done in the novels. She was no longer chief engineer on the Voyager. She joined the list of VOY characters that have moved on with their lives and pursued other careers since the ship came home. So what was there for her to do?

Fake the deaths of her child and herself during the Borg Holocaust and then secretly follow the Voyager and its fleet back to the Delta Quadrant to escape some Klingon religious zealots? Seriously?
Old 09-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Federation Councillor

Nice to see the books are keeping it real!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
It's a common theme in a lot of different franchises, primarily comics. Look at how many DC Universe characters have been killed off and reborn or resurrected or trapped in a parallel universe in the comics.
I know, it's lunacy. I'm actually getting more annoyed as I get older that they keep doing 'fake' kill-offs.

It's insulting, it's purely for short term sales boosts and it stretches believability every time it's done more and more.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Interesting. I've been putting off reading Destiny.

I just got a Titan novel from the library, which in it's opening briefly fills in the events of Destiny. Plus, I sneaked a look at the back cover of one in the bookshop.

I can't say they are really grabbing my attention. Is it true they have Ezri as a captain?

It seems that everywhere I turn Star Trek is going in directions that I don't like.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 09-16-2009, 05:35 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
Is it true they have Ezri as a captain?
Yes, she's commander of the new Vesta-class Starship Aventine, the first of Starfleet's new slipstream-drive vessels.

A number of years have passed since the end of DS9 and Destiny and during that time, Ezri came to an epiphany with the Dax symbiont and transferred to the command track to reach her full potential. After serving aboard the Defiant for awhile, she eventually landed the second officer position on the Aventine and took command when the ship's captain and exec were killed during one of the early Borg incursions on the Federation in 2381. No one was more surprised than Ezri when Starfleet decided to name her the permanant captain a week later.

The Ezri in Destiny is a far cry from the one we last saw on DS9. Not only is she more sure of herself and comfortable as a joined Trill, she's wears the mantle of starship captain very well, IMO.

Quote:
It seems that everywhere I turn Star Trek is going in directions that I don't like.
With the 24th-Century novels, the editors wanted to shake up the status quo big time and create a new situation that the Federation now had some serious competition for the title of "top dog" in the region. They also wanted to get rid of the Borg as this constant (yet impotent) threat to the Federation, and Destiny was a means of killing two birds with one stone.

If anything, I think what they've done is once again make the final frontier a little less safe, more rough n' tumble, and less perfect than it was before. There's no telling what will happen now in the fourth quarter of the 24th-Century...
Old 09-16-2009, 06:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Yes, she's commander of the new Vesta-class Starship Aventine, the first of Starfleet's new slipstream-drive vessels.

A number of years have passed since the end of DS9 and Destiny and during that time, Ezri came to an epiphany with the Dax symbiont and transferred to the command track to reach her full potential. After serving aboard the Defiant for awhile, she eventually landed the second officer position on the Aventine and took command when the ship's captain and exec were killed during one of the early Borg incursions on the Federation in 2381. No one was more surprised than Ezri when Starfleet decided to name her the permanant captain a week later.

The Ezri in Destiny is a far cry from the one we last saw on DS9. Not only is she more sure of herself and comfortable as a joined Trill, she's wears the mantle of starship captain very well, IMO.

With the 24th-Century novels, the editors wanted to shake up the status quo big time and create a new situation that the Federation now had some serious competition for the title of "top dog" in the region. They also wanted to get rid of the Borg as this constant (yet impotent) threat to the Federation, and Destiny was a means of killing two birds with one stone.

If anything, I think what they've done is once again make the final frontier a little less safe, more rough n' tumble, and less perfect than it was before. There's no telling what will happen now in the fourth quarter of the 24th-Century...
Agreed with all.

I liked Ezri as a captain and I really enjoy the driection that the 24th century is heading. No more Borg is also a very good thing!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Not got a problem with Ezri being in command or even captain. It's just from what I remember of Ezri, and from what I've gleaned about the character of the Dax symbiont from the various hosts we've seen portrayed. That the character both host and symbiont were not interested in making command a career.

So yeah, it would take an epiphany or soul searching plot device to make her change careers like that.

Quote:

Not problem with a shake-up...but then again it's just "we're letting the Borg off the leash"...my thought though it is "too little to late", it should have been done years ago.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 09-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticarchie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore
Not got a problem with Ezri being in command or even captain. It's just from what I remember of Ezri, and from what I've gleaned about the character of the Dax symbiont from the various hosts we've seen portrayed. That the character both host and symbiont were not interested in making command a career.

So yeah, it would take an epiphany or soul searching plot device to make her change careers like that.
It was more of case that Ezri Tigan wasn't interested in command nor even in becoming a joined Trill. In DS9, Ezri got the Dax symbiont because the Dax symbiont was dying and Ezri was the only Trill aboard the ship carrying it. She had neither the years of training nor the actual inclination to become a joined Trill and was going through a hard period of rapid adjustment incorporating the memories and experiences of her predecessors during that entire final season of DS9.

It wasn't until shortly after the TV series ended that Ezri truly came into her own as Ezri Dax--the epiphany I mentioned--and realized with all her newly acquired knowledge and skills, she no longer shared her pre-Dax goal of being a counselor. If anything, Ezri is continuing the career path originally started by Jadzia Dax as a Starfleet officer.

Quote:
Quote:

Not problem with a shake-up...but then again it's just "we're letting the Borg off the leash"...my thought though it is "too little to late", it should have been done years ago.
It simply never would have happened under the Rick Berman-era, IMO. Too expensive to do onscreen for one thing, and too radical a concept for another...
Old 09-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Essentially, taking us back to the TOS era. Full Circle.

courtesy of Saquist