The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > A "purists" journey
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Lieutenant

I am in my 20s, enterprise is my first star trek serie.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:27 AM
Rear Admiral

I had actually hoped that ENT would have been less advanced than it was. I thought perhaps it was set too close to the time of the Federation and had too much stuff that was reminiscent of the Federation era. Imagine if it was set fifty years earlier, and most of the action took place among the colonies within the Sol System and alien contacts being more rare than commonplace. No ray guns, "photonish" torpedoes, or transporters. Yes, it would have been a dramatically different Star Trek series from what we're used to, but that would have been the point...
Old 08-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
I had actually hoped that ENT would have been less advanced than it was. I thought perhaps it was set too close to the time of the Federation and had too much stuff that was reminiscent of the Federation era. Imagine if it was set fifty years earlier, and most of the action took place among the colonies within the Sol System and alien contacts being more rare than commonplace. No ray guns, "photonish" torpedoes, or transporters. Yes, it would have been a dramatically different Star Trek series from what we're used to, but that would have been the point...
That would have been a better idea.

Let's see the period Troi talked about, right after First Contact, and let's see the divisions being put aside and man starting to work together and eliminate some of the big problems.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Lieutenant

B&B's original idea was for the first season to be set entirely inside the Solar System as they recruit the crew and get the ship built, wrestling with the Vulcans, and Klang's crashlanding on Earth would be the season finale leading up to the launch.

Paramount nixed it.

And as for the Xindi arc justifying the invasion of Iraq, it really, really sounds like that poster hasn't watched the season through. The whole season is a comment on the "War on Terror," with the probe of course being 9/11, the humans understandably freaking out (America in 2002-2003), but then it becomes a great vehicle for exploring the moral issues raised (the ability to rationalize doing horrible things in order to prevent a bigger horrible thing), and then becomes a lesson on how it SHOULD'VE turned out. 'twas brilliant.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Fleet Admiral

I find myself to be a bit more forgiving of Enterprise when I watch it now. I felt like they had an opportunity to do something new and instead it felt a lot like Voyager to me. There were a lot of things they could have done with it. But there are plenty of good episodes and I felt like the show was just hitting it's stride when it got canceled.