The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > 20th/21st Century History (Trek style)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 07:12 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
Just because the universe has not panned out the way the TOS writers described, doesn't mean that Star Trek is irrelevant. Once 1984 had come and gone, it didn't make George Orwell's novel any less relevant because it was set in a time that had passed.

As someone who never has watched TOS (because I wasn't allowed to as a child and can't really get into it now), it's not dated because some of the timelines have passed, it's dated because CGI looks more real than the cardboard models and polystyrene bricks used in the 60s.
Agreed
Old 08-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Rear Admiral

They still use polystyrene bricks today. And IIRC, the sets of VOY were made out of the same materials as the sets of TOS--namely wood and metallic paint.

IMO, there was a natural progression of things from TOS to VOY. Of course things in VOY were supposed to look more advanced than things from TOS. It wouldn't be right if TOS didn't look more primitive than VOY, really...

I dunno, it just seems like most of the complaints I hear about TOS from fans who were first exposed to the later shows seem to focus soley on how TOS looked rather than whether or not they simply didn't like the characters or the stories.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
They still use polystyrene bricks today. And IIRC, the sets of VOY were made out of the same materials as the sets of TOS--namely wood and metallic paint.

IMO, there was a natural progression of things from TOS to VOY. Of course things in VOY were supposed to look more advanced than things from TOS. It wouldn't be right if TOS didn't look more primitive than VOY, really...

I dunno, it just seems like most of the complaints I hear about TOS from fans who were first exposed to the later shows seem to focus soley on how TOS looked rather than whether or not they simply didn't like the characters or the stories.
I love TOS and it was the first Trek I ever saw (my dad hated TNG at the time). I find it nifty in a retro-tech kind of way and I too enjoy the progression of tech throughout the shows. Story takes precedent over effects for me!

Believe me, I've known plenty of people who hated Trek just for the way it looked compared to Star Wars, for example.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
That would be kinda like watching a Hitchcock movie and complaining that it is in black and white, wouldn't it?

There are a few sets which look a bit simple and raw, but most of the design is superb IMO. Trelane's room comes to mind, it is decorated like a movie and not like a TV show set.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
That would be kinda like watching a Hitchcock movie and complaining that it is in black and white, wouldn't it?

There are a few sets which look a bit simple and raw, but most of the design is superb IMO. Trelane's room comes to mind, it is decorated like a movie and not like a TV show set.
Agreed, most of the stage locations were quite fantastic. The show was ahead of it's time for sure, and the remastered have certainly helped a new generation fans enjoy TOS. It's all good to me, original or remastered.