The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trek Tech > Ships, Devices, etc. > The distance in space between us
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default The distance in space between us

One of the things I’ve noticed about ST series and movies beyond TOS involves the relative closeness of starships involved in combat. It’s much too close. TOS frequently displayed encounters where there was a great distance between the combatants. At normal resolution, an approaching starship couldn’t be seen on the monitor unless one increased the magnification.

Why did the Enterprise have to get so close to the Reliant during the ambush scene in ST:WOK? First example of this and often repeated in the subsequent series and movies.

Why approach so close to the enemy when technology allows for precision scanning and targeting? What’s the use for long-range scanning when we essentially “shoot from hip” with our phasers?

Obviously there is a cinematic reason for this but it greatly departs from an important aspect of TOS: “there’s something unknown out there; not clearly seen and just beyond our reach.”
Old 02-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Commander

If you want to get into realistics...space is a vaccum. Then there shouldn't be any sound at all! Now how fun would it be to see a space battle in silence???

Besides the Enterprise was in a nebula...all sensors were down. Nicholas Meyer wanted it like a submarine dogfight. I liked it... you didn't?

http://www.dianahuang.com
Old 02-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The ambush sequence occurred before the nebula. No issues with the scanners. I loved ST:WOK as I stated in a previous post. Nick Meyer saved the franchise with this one.

"Submarine dogfights?" Maybe Big D could fly afterall.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditroi View Post
If you want to get into realistics...space is a vaccum. Then there shouldn't be any sound at all! Now how fun would it be to see a space battle in silence???

Besides the Enterprise was in a nebula...all sensors were down. Nicholas Meyer wanted it like a submarine dogfight. I liked it... you didn't?
That would be fantastic! No one has really done a big space battle with no sound as it would be from space. It'd be nice to see that and then go inside the ships with sound BLARING like crazy and then just go to the vaccum of space. I wonder if explosions would even be as large as they actually are in the movies. Once the oxygen's gone, no more explosion.

There's one scene in the new Battlestar Galactica where this character has ejected our of a fighter and they're floating in space with a EVA suit on of course and he's watching this massive battle between the Galactica and a Cylon Basestar. There's just music, no sound or if there is it is so low it's almost imperceptible. Really beautiful sequence. I suppose most studios are afraid to take the sound out of space battles cause we're so used to seeing them that way. I heard somewhere that Meyer had wanted all the space sequences in Khan silent but the studio told him to put in sound. It'd certainly be something to see!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 02-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Rear Admiral

^^^
The short-lived Firefly series didn't use any sound effects when their ships were in space, just music. The ships also varely rarely flew on the same plane with one another as well and frequently moved like real spaceships.

But in regards to Trek ships being so close to one another, it's more important to listen to onscreen dialogue than the visuals, IMO. Even though the ships seem very close, they're often described as being many thousands of kilometers apart. Perhaps we can dismiss it as an issue of perspective--objects appear closer than they actually are...
Old 03-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

I've often had a problem with this not for the TOS but the later series...It's just cinema...they think everything has to be close for good action.