The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Gay character in ST XI?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryibanezguy View Post
Agreed, making sexuality an issue would point out a difference that need not be mentioned, its like.....water...you know someone drinks it... who cares what flavor they put in it ya know?.. its still water, and it still has no place on the bridge of the enterprise, hetoro, gay, whatever.
THAT is a good way to put it...
we know there is variety...lets just leave it simply explained as that.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
How about this:

In the future, nobody will care! I mean, only a handful of major characters have gotten their sexuality defined in ANY way, let alone had a romance on-screen. Considering that, to create a gay character purely to have a gay character would be terrible writing. How would it affect the story, unless you're making the story about how a gay character's gay?

I think the gay issue should be a complete non-issue in the future, like Picard's lack of hair. Like Roddenberry said about baldness in the 24th century: "Noone will care."
That makes sense I guess.

I would hope that by the 23rd Century that not only is race, creed, and sex no longer an issue, that being gay or straight is not either. Everyone is treated as equals.

And TOS did a great job of combing different races and gender to all work together. No one was ever singled out for their race or gender, they here just treated as everyone else.

So, why single out a person that is gay just to show that they are gay?
That would be like saying "look, he is mexican. what now?".
Old 03-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Admiral

sure...there's never been any indication that Kirk was a p u s s y chasing creep.... huh?

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-11-2008, 09:58 PM

I agree with angryibenezguy as well. I have no special hate, love, regard or dismissal for any character because of their sexual orientation. It's what makes up their character that intrests me. It's who they are inside, not who they wozz the gonz with.

"Any bigotry you can leave in your quarters, there's no place for it on the bridge!"
-Captain James T. Kirk "Balance Of Terror"
Old 03-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Rear Admiral

lol, nice edit Liz...
Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
How about this:

In the future, nobody will care! I mean, only a handful of major characters have gotten their sexuality defined in ANY way, let alone had a romance on-screen.
You would have a point, but for the fact that actually every single main character has had their sexuality defined on screen. Be it by a date, or a conversation about longing for a certain member of the opposite sex or some similar occurrence. I have recently gone through and watched every single episode and movie, and had to check off as each major character has his or her (hetero)sexuality unambiguously defined. This is why it is so conspicuous that there is no gay character.

Quote:
Considering that, to create a gay character purely to have a gay character would be terrible writing. How would it affect the story, unless you're making the story about how a gay character's gay?
You're right, it would be terrible writing. And I never suggested that. I suggested that we have a character who is there because he or she is a fantastic character. They should then just be incidentally gay or lesbian. Perhaps a subtle reference to a partner at home? As I specifically said in the OP, there shouldn't be a fuss about or a focus on the character's sexuality, it should be incidental.

Quote:
I think the gay issue should be a complete non-issue in the future, like Picard's lack of hair. Like Roddenberry said about baldness in the 24th century: "Noone will care."
I absolutely agree. That's why we should have a normal, healthy homosexual character who is an interesting person in their own right and just so happens to be gay. Like they had Picard, who just happened to be bald.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think eqaulity is essential in treatment but should a show take it upon themselves to introduce it?

Race/sexual orientation. They are not equals.
One behavior the other is a matter of humanity.
The issue in America has really confused by the whole "homosexuality is genetic"

Old 03-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
sure...there's never been any indication that Kirk was a p u s s y chasing creep.... huh?
Im just saying, if they make a new series, i wouldent care, but from what everyone knows none of the bridge crew (the charicters) from tos were gay, why change history, set trek history just to make one group feel better, i sympathyse with anyone thats offended, but taking a set charicter and changing what we know of them isnt really a good way to start. and making an even bigger point of sexuality is definitely not going to help anyone.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Andrew, I'll just say it now....I'm your biggest fan. I'll be here supporting you and this thread.

Of course, you do know that at this board, it's going to be a bit iffy, right?

I'll say that the movie producers will probably not be so bold as to make any of the established characters gay (despite reams of fan fic that makes perfect sense suggesting otherwise). However, it would behoove them to at least acknowledge a gay couple....It could be as simple as Kirk having to inform the surviving spouse of his husband's death during an away mission...it wouldn't take any extreme efforts on the part of the writers.

I think it's long past time that Star Trek The Franchise addresses this issue. Based on my friends, gays represent a large part of the Star Trek fan base so failing to address it would cowardly and rather offensive.
Thanks Elizadolots!

Yeah, even I would be annoyed if they changed the established sexuality of a previous character. But there will doubtless be new characters in the movie, there always are.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Well I know it's supposed to be an extrapolation of the future
but in reality...you're trying to make Trek palitable to everyone.
You could litteral risk the entire franchise by doing this...

but I could be wrong. Some will watch trek regardless.
I have found most Trek fans enlightened enough to have no problem with gay people or gay relationships. It's the whole "infinite diversity", respect for others and equality that is so important to Star Trek, and this tends to be represented in most Trek fans in my experience.
Closed Thread