The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Continuity with 'Obession' Episode
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
There is no canon reference for potential command officers being sent back to the Academy to get training. All Academy references refer to cadets in training, not established officers.
A command school's not so hard to envision, though -- wouldn't have to be at the Academy, either.

On the other hand, I've got the impression that the movie's about how everyone came to BE on the Enterprise from their various backgrounds, not necessarily a Starfleet Academy sort of story...
Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Okay...thought there's no canon evidence of a command school (and we see young officers being trained for command {think Sulu and then, somewhat barfily, Wesley}) but if there is a school and it's not at the Academy, Kirk won't be there...

I was only suggesting what problem might be presented by the episode Obsession.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Okay...thought there's no canon evidence of a command school (and we see young officers being trained for command {think Sulu and then, somewhat barfily, Wesley}) but if there is a school and it's not at the Academy, Kirk won't be there...

I was only suggesting what problem might be presented by the episode Obsession.
Wesley? Who's that? (blissfully suppressed memories)
Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I think the biggest problem it presents is that having been Kirk's first deep space mission....11 years prior to the Enterprise discovering the cloud being... That combined with Spock having been a Star Fleet Officer for 18 years (as stated in The Enterprise Incident, I believe they are from the same season) throws a huge honking monkey wrench into the idea the "boys" were at the Academy together and going out on their first voyages together...
I'm a little puzzled by pieces of this, maybe I'm misreading something?

From sources I can find, the Tycho IV 'vampire cloud' incident was not Kirk's first mission... perhaps his first "deep space" mission, if that's an important clarification. In any case, the Encyc dates the Tycho incident in 2257, whereas Kirk graduated SFA and signed aboard the Farragut in 2254.

In any case, I agree with the concept that Spock and Kirk would seem to have spent little time together in their Academy years, for a few reasons: if Spock begins serving aboard the Enterprise in 2252, he's only at the actual Academy "campus" for at most two years after Kirk enlists (2250) and is an upperclassman over Kirk.

At any rate, Spock is off zipping around on the E with Pike starting 2252, and meanwhile Kirk is serving as an ensign aboard the Republic at the same time. Different ships, presumably not serving in proximity for the two to be buddy-buddy.

Kirk graduates and serves as a lieutenant on the Farragut starting 2254, while Spock is embroiled in the action depicted in "The Cage." Kirk is nowhere to be found in that episode, of course.

Or maybe Abrams and writers have a different idea all together!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxer View Post
half of the farrugut crew was wiped out by the cloud thingy. and I think it mentions garrovick (the captain) in some way being "obsessed".
but what does that have to do with Kirks history..that's the confusing part...or am I imagining this?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Glacial...That bratty Crusher kid in TNG (Star Trek: The Next Generation...in case the blissful ignorance is so deep as to not know about the series along with not knowing about one it's major characters)...we saw him being trained for command and it wasn't at any school...

Mission, the show clearly states that the mission with the Farragut was his first deep space mission (which is what I posted) unless there is some suspicion that Spock lies. It would seem that you agree with me that it's unlikely that Spock and Kirk would have been at the academy together.

While I'm long past the idea that the movie will be about "Spock, Kirk and the gang at the Academy" I suspect that is the conflict the original post referred to. That's why I posted what I posted. Otherwise, there's nothing in Obsession that could have anything to do with the new movie.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:32 AM
Federation Councillor

Well said Eliza!
Old 03-12-2008, 05:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yup, I don't think they'll have enough time to fit in anything about the Farragut. Maybe a reference or something, but nothing real substantial.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Ensign

I would think since star trek is based of our modern millitary,there would be some sort of command course, Deanna had to take a course to attain the rank of leutennant commander, and since there were no holodecks to train people in in the 23rd century (at least in the kirk era) they would presumibly have to take the training somewhere else, now we know that he was leutennant on the farragut, so at some point after hte farrigut he took the training afterwards, and since we also know in the time of pike somewhere spock took the training too, thus he became 2nd officer, so one could surmise they took the training at starfleet academy (where the starship simulators were)
so tehy could increase in rank
Old 03-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryibanezguy View Post
I would think since star trek is based of our modern millitary,there would be some sort of command course, Deanna had to take a course to attain the rank of leutennant commander, and since there were no holodecks to train people in in the 23rd century (at least in the kirk era) they would presumibly have to take the training somewhere else, now we know that he was leutennant on the farragut, so at some point after hte farrigut he took the training afterwards, and since we also know in the time of pike somewhere spock took the training too, thus he became 2nd officer, so one could surmise they took the training at starfleet academy (where the starship simulators were)
so tehy could increase in rank
Deanna took the test to become a bridge officer, to allow her to command a ship, she got a promotion to full commander once she passed. Kirk was already a bridge officer cos his first assignment was as a navigator on the Farragut, so he wouldn't have needed to take that test.

And seeing as Captain Sisko was able to make Worf his first officer on the Defiant without Worf going off for training, we can safely assume no further command training is needed for bridge officers. Bridge officers must learn all that they need for command at the academy.