The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Comments & Suggestions > what i wish to see in star trek xii
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2009, 06:18 AM
Midshipman

Default what i wish to see in star trek xii

hi,

i don´t want to see one more great enemy. that begins to be boring. nero was good in a second story line, but in the next movie i would like to be scared because of the naked, cold space...! that is what i miss since years. new worlds, new civilisatons, to be fascinated by strange things. maybe a little fantasy, a little horror, a little twilight zone

matthias
Old 08-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Fleet Admiral

Exactly. Almost every movie has a humanoid villain.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Federation Councillor

Hmm what about the M5 making a comeback?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

I vote for a story like Devil in the Dark! The heroes are sent to confront an opponent and it turns out the villain is no villain and sees them as the bad guys. In the end no one dies and they all live in peace and cooperation.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 08-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Commander

I want to see a movie without strobe effects.

~Unlikely, but one can hope, yes?~
Old 08-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt.reed View Post
hi,

i don´t want to see one more great enemy. that begins to be boring. nero was good in a second story line, but in the next movie i would like to be scared because of the naked, cold space...! that is what i miss since years. new worlds, new civilisatons, to be fascinated by strange things. maybe a little fantasy, a little horror, a little twilight zone

matthias
Sounds like the basis for something intriguing.

I'd like them to bring back a sense that Space is vast and desolate. That there are huge distances between star systems and that you don't bump into the same people every second week.

TOS had that feel and later years Trek seemed to lose sight of that and stay in the same backyard all the time.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 08-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt.reed View Post
hi,

matthias
I understand what you're saying. The trouble is when you actually pick through your suggestions, it doesn't really illuminate very much what you would actually include. New worlds, new civilisations, strange things. Sounds cool but what would actually happen? Story can't exist without some kind of conflict, where would this come from? I'm not saying that Star Trek films have to always be about fighting but there has to be some kind of high stakes danger, surely? The Next Generation had a big asteroid threatening a planet of English speaking aliens with five nostrils wearing bacofoil suits but for me that felt rather tame and uninteresting. Not trying to be negative, I think you perfectly summed up a feeling that TOS engendered in me when I was a kid. All I can say is I'm glad I'm not in the hot seat for writing the next one!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I vote for a story like Devil in the Dark! The heroes are sent to confront an opponent and it turns out the villain is no villain and sees them as the bad guys. In the end no one dies and they all live in peace and cooperation.
A number of people died along the way though..Maybe a bigger version of something like this could work.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:23 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Yes indeed.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:17 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
I understand what you're saying. The trouble is when you actually pick through your suggestions, it doesn't really illuminate very much what you would actually include. New worlds, new civilisations, strange things. Sounds cool but what would actually happen? Story can't exist without some kind of conflict, where would this come from? I'm not saying that Star Trek films have to always be about fighting but there has to be some kind of high stakes danger, surely? The Next Generation had a big asteroid threatening a planet of English speaking aliens with five nostrils wearing bacofoil suits but for me that felt rather tame and uninteresting. Not trying to be negative, I think you perfectly summed up a feeling that TOS engendered in me when I was a kid. All I can say is I'm glad I'm not in the hot seat for writing the next one!
The problem I find with that is that if you keep raising the stakes eventually you raise them to the point where things just get ridiculous. You can only increase the scale of what's at threat so far before you get into the 'Galaxy destroying' realm of plot lines. Which have been done a few times already. There's only so many times you can do that before the audience loses goes 'here we go again....'

But it is possible to make the danger something else and wrap it up in Star Trek ways.

For example, the TNG episode 'The Masterpiece Society' we had a plot where a comet was threatening an unknown human society where a very careful way of life had been constructed. Except the twist in the tale was that while the Colony was saved, it still got destroyed because of the bigger universe the Enterprise showed the colonists was out there.

As Picard noted - the Enterprise's arrival ended up being more destructive to that society than the comet would have been if they had all just been killed.

Perhaps something like that could be explored in a film.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 08-09-2009 at 04:52 AM.