The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > Sorry but the Inner Light was ruined for me, didn't enjoy it so much
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2009, 12:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

I see more connections between COTEF and BOBW... Riker has to let Picard go (mentally) and kill him

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 07-28-2009, 11:34 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Big D,

Perhaps not as many as you might think... after the big bang (13 billion years ago, give or take a eon) the universe was composed almost entirely of light elements. The first stars had to form, in order to "boil down" the basic stuff of the explosion into heavier elements... so, carbon, the basis of all known life, didn't really form until comparatively recently. As such, it could very well be that intelligent life might be a fairly new phenomenon in the universe...
Good point - though the oldest stars are up to ten billion years old, I believe, which raises the possibility of there having been habitable planets several billion years ago at least

Old 07-29-2009, 06:22 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I loved the idea that Picard - being an avid amateur archaeologist experienced the life of someone who lived many eons ago. I think for someone in that profession or area of interest that experience would be the ultimate on their personal wish list. A beautifully written episode.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:23 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I see more connections between COTEF and BOBW... Riker has to let Picard go (mentally) and kill him
True.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Big D,

Well, no. The oldest stars are still remnants of that earlier epoch... they just have been burning low and slow compared to others. If they formed during that time, there weren't enough heavy elements around to form smaller, rocky terrestrial planets out of the debris... if any planets circle them, they would most likely be gas giants. Sure, life MIGHT get a start in gas giant atmospheres (similar to those conjectured by Sagan in the clouds of Jupiter) but the recent discovery of hurricane-like convection currents seem to preclude that.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Big D,

Well, no. The oldest stars are still remnants of that earlier epoch... they just have been burning low and slow compared to others. If they formed during that time, there weren't enough heavy elements around to form smaller, rocky terrestrial planets out of the debris... if any planets circle them, they would most likely be gas giants. Sure, life MIGHT get a start in gas giant atmospheres (similar to those conjectured by Sagan in the clouds of Jupiter) but the recent discovery of hurricane-like convection currents seem to preclude that.
And the first stars, though, would have been fairly spectacular and would have lived very short lives indeed.

Burn hot, die young!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)