The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Gary Mitchell
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
Just so I have this right... The novels are fan based, or actored based books right? And are not Canon. Even though from time to time elements from some novels have made on screen.

So?
The books are written by professional writers for the most part, but they're definitely not considered canon. I don't think any elements from the books have actually been incorporated onscreen at any time, but the books do try awfully hard not to contradict anything from onscreen though and their continuity of late has been pretty spot-on.

People who worked on Trek wrote TNG and DS9 Technical Manuals, a Chronology, and an Encyclopedia. Although these particular works are as official as you can get, they're not considered canon either because the onscreen material will always take priority over the offscreen stuff according to CBS/Paramount.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
As far as Mitchell is concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if the character makes at least a brief appearance and/or is mentioned in passing. The role need not be a major one, nor even a speaking role, because fans-in-the-know would know who he is and what he's destined to become...
Exactly...Kirk, sitting at a desk in front of a classroom, rises to greet an approaching Professor, dismissing the lower classman seemingly being kept after class with "Try to keep your mind off the ladies and on the lecture, next time, Mr. Mitchell." We'd all fill in the rest and the non-fans wouldn't give it a second thought.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Lieutenant

Gary Mitchell and James Tiberius Kirk were childhood friends who met when the Kirk family lived in Iowa. Well, okay, that's my ''canon'' in STSOP.

Point is, there're enough ''empty years'' to explore a great many of the characters without always thinking ''alternate timelines'' and so forth.

Of course, in my case, while I give the most weight to the material from the original TV series, I also don't purposely tread on anything unless absolutely necessary. I just won't trade storytelling to align forty years of screen franchise.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Commander

JJ also has to be careful of just how many characters he puts in the movie just to please the hardcore fans. It may end up alienating the new folks JJ is trying to draw in.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:21 AM
Federation Councillor

Summer-

This is the first i have ever heard of that.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:11 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Summer-

This is the first i have ever heard of that.
Haha -- that's because it's ''my'' Star Trek universe in STSOP (see banner link). I wish I could make the script available again but it's under option until late this year. It could still be ''floating around'' out there somewhere but ''officially'' I cannot provide it.

It's a sweeping/epic tale that Star Trek (so far) has never undertaken throughout its forty-some year franchise history. The center of the story is the life-long friendship between Kirk and Mitchell and secondarily it's a father-son story between James Tiberius and his father. There's also a love story arc between James T. and a woman named Annie.

Basically it's a tale of friendship, love, loyalty, family, hope, intrigue and destiny that will make you laugh, cheer and cry.

Interestingly enough, some four years ago I was set up for a meeting at Paramount to pitch ''tentpole'' ideas, and among my ideas I was going to toss out ''my little Star Trek idea'' as well. I was already pitching at Enterprise and it seemed like the ''end of the road'' for Star Trek. Terms like ''franchise fatigue'' were circulating. My idea was to ''go back to the source'' of Star Trek, but not necessarily to the TOS era -- rather the time leading up to it. I also knew that it was time for Star Trek to get the budget and scope it deserved among the ''pillars'' of cinematic science fiction. Obviously Paramount ''saw'' that too and thus we have a wonderful movie coming out a couple summers hence. As for my meeting -- as often happens in the industry, the execs I was to meet were ''shuffled out.''

So what becomes of STSOP? Our producer would love to realize it as a mini-series event on CBS but if not, it is our hope to produce the most ambitious independent not-for-profit ''fan'' project ever undertaken. As JJ Abrams himself said in so many words during a presentation, the tools and technology are there for anyone to realize their creative vision. Just look at what the folks at Star Trek New Voyages (now ''Phase Two'') are doing. That's just the tip of the iceberg of possibilities.

Meanwhile, another author (Glenn Smith/The Call of Duty) and I are also novelizing STSOP.

So, we'll see...
Old 03-11-2008, 05:20 AM
Federation Councillor

Summer-

Sounds cool! But it's not cannon. So ok, begining to think I missed an important episode or soemthing....lol.

But if it gets produced, I'll be the first to see it!!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Lieutenant

You know every time I hear some rant about how this is canon and this is not... I want to shoot them out of a cannon! This is TREK, right? Since when has there ever actually been any form of canon in this genre? Spock had an ancestor who married a human, and then it was his father who married a human! Klingons... ridges? No ridges? Whatever..... We really need to stop this obsession with CANON! Damn it Jim! Hell Cochrane was from Alpha Centauri and then he was from Montana? Well there is a 4 light-year shift in galactic geography! Come on people, it is a TV show... A 40 year old TV show... Shut up, sit back and enjoy the ride already.... Even if this new ride makes it so you need a barf bag to get through it... It is TREK... love it, or leave it!
Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Dol-

Of course you can feel free to belive whatever you choose. One of the purposes of the forums is for people to all express their veiws. Cannon will come up alot, like it or not.

Honestly, it makes for fun discussions.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Fleet Admiral

Sorry, fans will never stop arguing about canon in STAR TREK... that's canon in TREK fandom!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!