The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Funny Expressions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Banned

Here's something that wouldn't necessarily be out of place on the blank wall of a modern art gallery. Just make it big enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Art.jpg (20.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Banned

"The artist, Star Trek Viewer, has challenged the audience to consider whether words themselves can be a form of dialectic. The positions of words vehemently clash with orthodoxy, at the same time penetrating and by so doing defeating the illusion of white space -- ultimately unbounded by the computer window insouciantly suggested at the top -- while demarcating the repetitive nature of existence through an ironic reference to 'tension,' which persists despite all attempts at its annihilation.

"By using the means of modern communication in a classical dialogue, yet employing mundane fonts found in most personal computers, STV contrasts the monotony of the modern age with the discourse it could easily provide. By using art against itself, STV coyly questions the very nature of art and, by extension, the accepted aesthetics of existence."

"STV, quite clearly, is a genius."

Not so sincerely,

STV

Last edited by Star Trek Viewer : 07-25-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek Viewer View Post
What makes you think I haven't created art?

What makes you think that if I actually hadn't, and did so, and found it difficult, I would disagree with you that some art is truly art?

Would that mean that all "art" is difficult? Hardly. Some "art" is easy -- and I would argue, so easy that it really isn't art. But it isn't just that it's easy -- it's also that it defies any reasonable standard by which to call it art.

I think you believe I think that all art is easy. It isn't. Far from it. I never claimed that it was. In fact, I think that art is most often quite difficult. But certain things that pass for art are easy. Why couldn't this be true?

Saying that certain things shouldn't be considered art doesn't devalue art. to the contrary -- it elevates it as a serious endeavor.
Would you be willing to post some of your art? I'm curious to see it. I think that maybe you have adopted a slightly unfortunate mocking tone when you describe some of the less accessable art forms ("making an artistic face" - I don't even know what that means). I don't disagree that some kinds of art are easier to do than others - they are. I also agree with you that some art is very shallow and without much value. I knew an art student that did nothing for his whole degree and then put a black hand print on a white canvas one day before the final deadline. Courses that let people do that and still pass are valueless too. I just don't think it's helpful to characterise art in the way tabloid journalism does. All abstract art and automatic painting is not crap. Not every so called "modern" artist is a facile conman. Noone is the final and absolute arbiter of taste, not you and not me - noone.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
Would you be willing to post some of your art? I'm curious to see it. I think that maybe you have adopted a slightly unfortunate mocking tone when you describe some of the less accessable art forms ("making an artistic face" - I don't even know what that means). I don't disagree that some kinds of art are easier to do than others - they are. I also agree with you that some art is very shallow and without much value. I knew an art student that did nothing for his whole degree and then put a black hand print on a white canvas one day before the final deadline. Courses that let people do that and still pass are valueless too. I just don't think it's helpful to characterise art in the way tabloid journalism does. All abstract art and automatic painting is not crap. Not every so called "modern" artist is a facile conman. Noone is the final and absolute arbiter of taste, not you and not me - noone.
Done and done. In a way.

As you can probably tell, I'm no artist, Scribbler, especially when compared with an accomplished aesthetician like you, as evidenced by your works posted elsewhere in this forum. However, you don't have to be an artist to challenge whether our ideas about modern art have, to some degree, gone astray.

And, I would venture to repeat, I never said that all abstract art is crap. In fact, abstract art that truly is art can be and is quite respectable, because it has earned its merits through what it is, not what the artist merely says it is.

Last edited by Star Trek Viewer : 07-25-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:47 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Done and done. In a way.

As you can probably tell, I'm no artist, Scribbler, especially when compared with an accomplished aesthetician like you, as evidenced by your works posted elsewhere in this forum. However, you don't have to be an artist to challenge whether our ideas about modern art have, to some degree, gone astray.

And, I would venture to repeat, I never said that all abstract art is crap. In fact, abstract art that truly is art can be and is quite respectable, because it has earned its merits through what it is, not what the artist merely says it is.
Thankyou for the kind words about my stuff. I get what you're saying about pretention in the the art world. You're obviously a bright person who martials his/her arguments well. I just think its a shame to concentrate so much on the few idiots who make a lot of noise while producing shallow and tedious work. There's so much good stuff out there to celebrate. Do you know, I've never met an artist who didn't think that there's some terrible crap out there in the highbrow art world. As an art educator myself I deplore the loss of traditional skills and the way drawing has fallen from favour. You are rather preaching to the choir on this one.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Here's something that wouldn't necessarily be out of place on the blank wall of a modern art gallery. Just make it big enough.
I ain't buying it
Old 07-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
I ain't buying it
Elitist!