The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Literature > Novels, Novellas, Short Stories > Any hope for alternative Trek novels?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian View Post
Boy, doesn't that scare you "JJ-verse"? The lines are being drawn already. I like that!
I don't see it as one camp against another, if that's what you mean. I think it's terrific to have more Trek to choose from. And, I'm with Kevin- the ST novels, of either universe, need to be much better than those in the past.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

The first Trek novels were often brilliant.
The modern Trek novels have been pretty much the same as the series which they came from...

blah...

Old 07-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
The first Trek novels were often brilliant.
The modern Trek novels have been pretty much the same as the series which they came from...

blah...
Do you have any particular favorites?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:48 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
While I enjoy TOS novels, I would love to have novels placed in the new timeline, too. I'm doubtful, though- publishing books before several movies are out would cause problems as far as canon goes.

Has anyone heard anything about what else will come of the new timeline? Books, comics, etc?
I would love those books too. I think I heard about them releasing some books based on the movie. I read an article about it on another Star Trek site, I think they are suposed to be comming out this year. I'm going to have to double check on that though. I'm gonna cross my fingers until then!
Old 01-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
While I enjoy TOS novels, I would love to have novels placed in the new timeline, too. I'm doubtful, though- publishing books before several movies are out would cause problems as far as canon goes.

Has anyone heard anything about what else will come of the new timeline? Books, comics, etc?
I just check on another Star Trek site and there is novels commming out based on Star Trek XI (2009) movie. The novels take place after where the movie left off. The books so far that's comming out is called:

Refugees (Realase date May)
Seek A Newer World (Release date June )
More Beautiful Then Death (Release date July )
The Hazzards Of Concelling ( Release date ?)

These are the only books so far thats comming out this year. I'm not sure if there will be more yet or not just have to wait and see. But I thought you might be happy about the news, I know I am!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Lieutenant

Yes, I am very happy to hear about the new books! I would imagine they have to be coordinated, at least to a point, with what will happen in the next movie....if there's going to be any major changes.

It will be interesting to see if the novels take the 'new' ST universe in a different direction or it continues as before. I would like to keep the crew together, however something new would definitely be welcome. I mean, if Spock is acknowledging his Human side, and allowing himself a relationship with Uhura, surely they can come up with something different for those two, at least.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
It would be neat if somewhere down the line we get a Trek novel where some TOS mission occurs in the alternate universe. I'd like to see a new Corbomite Maneuver or perhaps Arena. Imagine Pine taking on the Gorn captain...I think it would be a little more exciting than fighting Shatner, even in written form.
That would be cool! I wonder how this new crew would react to the events the orginal crew encountered., not just in series but the orginal movies. There is only two things I don't want to see a repeat of, and that's Spock's death (TWOK) and Kirk's death (Gen) those moments made me really sad.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Fleet Admiral

Here's some info on the upcoming Trek books based in the alternate reality: http://trekmovie.com/2010/01/10/summ...g-this-summer/

I have them all pre-ordered.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Here's some info on the upcoming Trek books based in the alternate reality: http://trekmovie.com/2010/01/10/summ...g-this-summer/

I have them all pre-ordered.
Thanks- I had not seen this before and was wondering what the new books would be about. The ones featuring 'old' Spock and Sarek look very interesting. Can't say I'm excited about furry aliens, though.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Rear Admiral

UPDATE:
Pocket Books has announced that they are mothballing all novels set in the alternate universe "indefinitely" to avoid trampling on any story ideas that Abrams and the gang might have for the next film.
http://trekmovie.com/2010/01/14/pock...m-summer-2010/