The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Mwa ha ha! Midnight Harry Potter!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2009, 12:41 AM
Federation Councillor

So far, Azkaban is my favourite book and film - but from what I recall of HBP and then seeing the trailer, it seems as if there have been some alterations to events from the book.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
So far, Azkaban is my favourite book and film - but from what I recall of HBP and then seeing the trailer, it seems as if there have been some alterations to events from the book.
They didn't alter events as they happened, but they did omit MANY things, most notably the epic battle at the end, and the elf uprising.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJTrek View Post
They didn't alter events as they happened, but they did omit MANY things, most notably the epic battle at the end, and the elf uprising.
Well, they couldn't have a 7 hour movie....
Old 07-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Admiral

They omitted most of the major battle at the end....all the nasty death eaters apparently come along just to witness Draco attending to his task...then they sort of sneak out (but, you know....Bella just doesn't do "sneak").

Why I found this to be majorly important: Bill Weasley. Bill Weasley did not fare well in the big battle and his injuries, while not a huge plot point in Deathly Hallows, do factor in....so, either Bill is being cut out (which would be ginormous...think about what happens at Bill's house in DH!) or we'll be treated to a pristine uninjured Bill.

This movie did dramatically accelerate the Tonks-Lupin situation...

All the movies make major changes to the books. I had to go back to watch Goblet a second time to even decide if it was good or not because the first time through I was just freaking out about what was cut out.

Reading Half Blood Prince I knew that 2 of the 3 opening scenes would be cut...and they were. As much fun as it would have been to see Dumbledore chatting up the Dursleys (with the little wine glasses bopping on their heads demanding to be drunk)...I knew it didn't really drive the plot so wouldn't be in...ditto the English Prime Minister getting briefed by the ever increasingly flustered Minister of Magic...while a wonderful scene, the movie condensed it to a very exciting, scary 15 second shot and one sentence from Dumbledore....that's the economy of movie making and we sort of have to accept it.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!