The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Prescription Medication Addiction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2009, 05:22 AM
Federation Councillor

Anything can be abused...even water...
Old 07-16-2009, 05:30 AM
Vice Admiral

Everybody's got a crutch. The secret is to not let the crutch become your life.

Buffs, have you been following the news in Cali? They're finally realizing that they could greatly stimulate the economy by taking all that $ out of the dealer's hands and putting that $ into the hands of the government. Now we just have to endure a few months of hand-wringing and general whining by people who have probably never smoked but need to, very very badly!
Old 07-16-2009, 05:56 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Buffs, have you been following the news in Cali? They're finally realizing that they could greatly stimulate the economy by taking all that $ out of the dealer's hands and putting that $ into the hands of the government. Now we just have to endure a few months of hand-wringing and general whining by people who have probably never smoked but need to, very very badly!
I've been following it somewhat. Haven't been as informed on anything news-wise as I should. And the truth is that the people who whine about this aren't educated on the topic itself. Something I pride myself upon is my education when it comes to most drugs, so I actually know what I'm talking about.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:20 AM
Federation Councillor

Personally, I have np with pot. Why not pakcage it and sell it in liquor stores? Is it really any more harmful than booze?

Do you ever read about someone smoking a joint and beating the crap out of soembody? No! Or committing a vioilent crime after smoking? No!

Do we read about these crimes after drinking? Yes!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:05 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffs79 View Post
I personally know someone addicted to heroin, and even though they've started rehab they're still tempted. And the story of how they got there is not what you'd expect.

She had her wisdom teeth taken out and was prescribed some opiate painkiller, not sure what kind. Her doc kept refilling her prescription and reassuring her that she wasn't going to become addicted. Well, she finally gets to the point where she stops taking it, and she starts having really bad withdrawals, to the point where she finds some asshole that sells her heroin, telling her it'll "help her".

So she shoots up for the first time, and winds up finding her way to my apartment, high as a kite. And it was at my place where she had the withdrawal too. I will honestly never forget how bad I felt for her, it wasn't pretty in the slightest. For eight weeks she kept buying heroin off this guy, and shooting up, and repeating. Finally she went to rehab but it's still, as I said, not easy at all.

At first I blamed the guy selling it to her for causing all this **** in her life, but in the end I can only blame that dick of a doctor.
I have a hard time NOT blaming your friend for making the jump to heroin. Really, everybody should know by now that heroin is a dangerous drug and illegal. The problem with prescription meds is that they are cloaked under "legality", so their use is somewhat like the use of alcohol.

I have a few questions about this story. How long do people take meds for wisdom teeth? A week? Maybe two? A month? If she followed the instructions and did not take more than the recommended dose, I find it hard to believe her withdrawals would have be so severe. Perhaps she is just the type of person to have a very low tolerance to drugs?

I do think the doc should have looked into why he was needing to refill the prescription. He should have used more caution. I've never heard of a prescription needing a refill for dental work. I've only seen a one time deal. "Take this many for this long, if you still have pain when they are gone come and see me because something may be wrong". That's what should have happened.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Personally, I have np with pot. Why not pakcage it and sell it in liquor stores? Is it really any more harmful than booze?

Do you ever read about someone smoking a joint and beating the crap out of soembody? No! Or committing a vioilent crime after smoking? No!

Do we read about these crimes after drinking? Yes!
I fully support the legalization of marijuana. I am not a user and have never been, but I know people that are and they are not criminals nor users of other illegal drugs. I think the "stepping stone" role for drugs is filled nicely by alcohol. Pot is NOT the stepping stone drug conservatives think it is.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I fully support the legalization of marijuana. I am not a user and have never been, but I know people that are and they are not criminals nor users of other illegal drugs. I think the "stepping stone" role for drugs is filled nicely by alcohol. Pot is NOT the stepping stone drug conservatives think it is.
I agree 110% Q!