The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Warp Drive Theory
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Midshipman

I'm surprised nobody has wondered how the Enterprise ever got off the ground into earth orbit. The first saucer being developed using ion power could be the answer.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-flying-saucer
Old 06-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

Ion power is used to day and it's nowhere near the thrust to lauch anything...but who knows with advancements in Anti gravs and engines...maybe.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
It's a theoretical possibility, much the same as some time travel theories, but regarding it's actuall development, warp drive would be a long, long, long way off (if ever). I think, anyway.
Faster than light is possible.
There are short cuts we haven't discovered as yet but the whole arguement is simply about relativity and that can be...relative, its not based on an absolute. Light speed isn't an absolute...traveling faster than the universe you're in isn't even an impossibility.

It's all about relative motion.
Time travel is impossible. (backwards)
Theres nothing to go back to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb42682 View Post
According to Einstein faster then light travel is not possible. However recent physics have proven that it is if you create a "warp bubble" around a object of mass to deform space/time but the power required to do so is so many numbers I couldn't fit them in this post.

So here's my Question.

1.Do you believe it's possible?

2. If yes then how many years do you think it would take before the first prototype?

3. And in your opinion what kind of power source do you believe it would take.
Yes I do think it's allowed by the unisverse.
I think it's about a 1,000 years into the future at our current advancement rate.

I say antimatter generation is the best way because of the amount of power it could theoretically produce...the problem is....the energy is 99% neutrino which don't interact with most kinds of matter.

With antimatter in the tank, taking the family rocket out for a spin to the nearest M-class planet would be a relative breeze. Miniaturized antimatter fuel might consist of a thumb-sized canister with an energy source no bigger than an aspirin and no need of replenishment for hundreds of light-years -- or, locally, tens of millions of intra-solar-system miles.

Learn More.... http://www.space.com/news/antimatter_fuel_0010111.html

Old 06-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Midshipman

I'm thinking if we can get a ship to generate a powerful magnetic field around it much like our own earth, that it repel the earth's gravity thus making it float upward & away
from the surface.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Admiral

I watched a programme on National Geographic Channel and they reckon that FTL travel is at least a million years away for us as it is way beyond our current understanding of science. Although they did suggest the idea of warping or folding space is theoretically possible. They also reckon that aliens visiting us is highly improbable as they would have no idea if we were friendly, our atmosphere might be toxic to them and if that wasn't then our germs and diseases would kill them. They also would not speak American English as all good aliens in Star Trek do (yes I know they use a universal translator).

However, on a wikipedia site on Stephen Hawkins the physicist, when he visited TNGs studio for a cameo role, he was given a tour of the engine room and when he saw the warp drive, he said "I'm working on that." But since it was in wikipedia, I'll take it as urban myth till someone tells me otherwise.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 07-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

A million years away? To put that into perspective, a million years ago, we were covered in body hair and our language was limited to grunts.
A thousand years ago, people would have considered flying steal beasts as virtually impossible.
A hundred years ago, people would have considered fast calculation machines and a worldwide connection of those machines as mad idea.

We can be happy when we can forecast the weather for next weak with some accuracy, predicting whether and when interstellar travel might become possible is utterly lunatic.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Rear Admiral

A million years from now we won't even need warp drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio
A million years away? To put that into perspective, a million years ago, we were covered in body hair and our language was limited to grunts...
While our language was indeed limited to grunts, I'm afraid you're quite mistaken about the bit about us being covered in body hair.

Everybody knows cavewomen looked like Raquel Welch One Million Years Ago B.C...
Old 07-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
We can be happy when we can forecast the weather for next weak with some accuracy, predicting whether and when interstellar travel might become possible is utterly lunatic.
I'm not sure we are even capable of an accurate weather forecast. I've still to forgive the UK Met Office for promising sunshine last year at the Bon Jovi concert. It poured all day.

I was only quoting what the National Geographic Channel programme said. The scientists on it thought that it was not likely for a million years. However, as you put it, we've made great strides in the last 100 years. Mind you, we don't seem to have made much progress in space travel in the last 30 years. I would like to see us get to Mars in my lifetime.

Anyway, ignore my opinion. I'm hardly B'Elanna Torres. I've yet to work out how to put oil into my car!

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 07-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulkanis View Post
I'm thinking if we can get a ship to generate a powerful magnetic field around it much like our own earth, that it repel the earth's gravity thus making it float upward & away
from the surface.
I don't think any magnetic field is going to repel the power of gravity - especially considering that the Earth itself doesn't have the field - it's actually outside of the atmosphere, so it wouldn't help to launch anything.