The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Can DS9 stand on its own?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Lieutenant

Kukalakana, you're right about not judging by the first episode. I was curious about Babylon 5 and Farscape, so hunted down something to watch. It surely wasn't as 'bad' as some of the old Trek episodes.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
Kukalakana, you're right about not judging by the first episode. I was curious about Babylon 5 and Farscape, so hunted down something to watch. It surely wasn't as 'bad' as some of the old Trek episodes.
I'm afraid most of the first season (of Babylon 5) isn't that much better than the pilot. A lot of it is even worse, in fact. There are plenty of first season eps that you probably 'should' see, if you decide to give the show another chance, although again I would strongly recommend season 2 (or the 1st TV movie) as a jumping off point.

Last edited by samwiseb : 07-12-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:33 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I would myself disagree that the couple of minutes Picard appears in 'Emissary' for ruins the entire story of 'Best of Both Worlds'.

It only acknowledges the basic Picard part, and the impact on Sisko.

Watching 'Birthright' would be un-neccessary from the point of view of seeing Bashir because his contribution has no relevance to anything he ever did later on DS9, but part 2 of that story contains significant developments for Data and his journey. And the Klingon storyline in that show was also never featured again.

'Chain of Command' also has a significant Picard event.

Although Worf did join at Season 4, the TNG episodes are again all reiterated where applicable in dialogue during any episodes where characters or events are referenced.

But, yeah, it comes down to different ways of looking at it. I'd still say they are not required as pre-study but then, it probably wouldn't really matter either way in the long run.

To the individual concerned on the thread, TNG doesn't look that interesting to them, so why spend time on it when it's not 100% required. That's just how I look at it, anyway.
That's why I didn't include "Birthright" in the list, and I listed "Chain of Command" as a great and interesting episode about Cardassians, but not one that needs to be seen before DS9. I would recommend only seeing the Worf episodes I listed and "The Best of Both Worlds" to know some of the background. Maybe "The Wounded" for O'Brien.

BTW to people who are writing spoilers: putting *with spoiler* in the same line, just a few words before, doesn't help at all. Use SPOILER tags - that's the last button on the right. It looks like this <SPOIL="SPOILER">text</SPOIL> with [] instead of <> and you get this:
SPOILER
Old 07-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I'm afraid most of the first season (of Babylon 5) isn't that much better than the pilot. A lot of it is even worse, in fact. There are plenty of first season eps that you probably 'should' see, if you decide to give the show another chance, although again I would strongly recommend season 2 (or the 1st TV movie) as a jumping off point.
Babylon 5 should be watched with the TV movie In The Beginning being the first thing you see.

Suggested Viewing order for Babylon 5:

In The Beginning TV Movie
The Gathering (Series Pilot)
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
(midway through season 4 between the episodes of "Into the Fire" and "Moments of Transition" is the time to watch "Thirdspace" TV Movie which is set between these 2 episodes and has no spoilers or anything as it is pretty self contained.)
Season 5 (Up To "Objects At Rest")
River of Souls TV Movie
Legend of The Rangers TV Movie
A Call To Arms TV Movie
Crusade Spinoff Series(13 Episodes)
The Lost Tales(Direct to DVD Movie)
Sleeping In Light(Final Babylon 5 episode) Season 5

-Captain Jonathan Archer

Last edited by Raul4510 : 07-13-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I alwys thought it fun they had their own 'Jack the Ripper' episode.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 07-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul4510 View Post
Babylon 5 should be watched with the TV movie In The Beginning being the first thing you see.

Suggested Viewing order for Babylon 5:

In The Beginning TV Movie
I would skip this because it does have several significant spoilers. Think of it as one of those flashback two-part episodes that might be more at home before season 5. But then if you consider it like SW 1-3 (Vader being dear ol dad etc) then go ahead.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko Kea View Post
Will watching DS9 without seeing all the TNG series make sense or is there much overlap as far as characters and plots? Or, should I start with TNG and work my way through until I get to DN9?
I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but in the later seasons DS9 is becoming more and more serialized, so you might wanna watch in the right order (which is not so important in other Trek series besides the last two seasons of ENT).
Old 07-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
I would skip this because it does have several significant spoilers. Think of it as one of those flashback two-part episodes that might be more at home before season 5. But then if you consider it like SW 1-3 (Vader being dear ol dad etc) then go ahead.
Yeah, It's been awhile since I saw it but doesn't it have a lot of the story of Valen in it? That's meant to be a surprise during the first season?

courtesy of Saquist