The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Good Captain?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2008, 01:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

Janeway was a great Captain...it's hard chosing between them but Kirk goes first...I'm not a Kirk fan but I reconginze kewl when I see it...
I'd say Janeway is next...and then Sisko and picard...

it's not in order of who I liked but which should great leadership creativeness and best connection with the crew...

Like Picard but he goes last on that list.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Ensign

I liked Janeway, I liked that I saw a captain in a Star Trek series make a hugely bad decision! (not referring to destroying the only way of getting home in the first episode) She made quite a few bad decisions...which i thought was very realistic, I thought it was cool to watch how her moods changed as teh series went on...when the series was nearing an end she was getting depressed and upset with herself...her moods changed slowly as the episodes went on....i really thought that was great

Old 03-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Lieutenant

I think she was a great captain, she was following guidelines of the federation. She also saw that (as pointed out earlier in this thread) some rules do not apply in this part of space. There was no back up from starfleet. No other captain's to aid het so they had to rely on eachother.

I think it is hard to compare her with the other captains because of the setting they where in.

You can't compare Sisko to Janeway. The only ones you can compare are Picard and Kirk. (same setting different time).

Also being alone so far from home she could not have been only a captain, she had to be a mother, counselor at times. And let us not forget just becaus she is a captain does'nt mean she can't have feelings. She to was stranded in the delta quadrant
Old 03-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

Sisko had to command much more than star ship...He had an entire station.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Lieutenant

You would have to think about this for a while,what would picard or even kirk do if they were in the sitatution that janeway found herself,stranded 70,000 light years from home,no starfleet to help you,only the starfleet rules to help you through the hard and dangerous space of the delta quadrant.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Fleet Admiral

Kirk probably would have been more agressive...might have been a self destruct invovled.

Picard would have been highly diplomatic...in half of situations he would have fled wi tha ship that fast.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I just realized I haven't replied here and yet Janeway is by far my favourite captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditroi View Post
That scene where she put on that equipment! GASP! She is soooo cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arutha View Post
(...) Also being alone so far from home she could not have been only a captain, she had to be a mother, counselor at times.
Agreed and agreed. I believe that, as a woman, Janeway brought some aspects to the role of captain that we never saw in the others, the motherly aspect evidently being the more prominent one. Someone previously said that she had lost her femininity because of her role as captain but I completely disagree and that's what I really liked about her. Despite undertaking such a masculine role, she very much remained a woman.

Janeway rocks... Nuff said.

Last edited by Lady Vaako : 03-08-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:26 AM
Lieutenant

I thought Kate did a great job w/the character. The writing? Yeah, it could have been more consistent. Nothing wrong w/a strong female lead character. What's she supposed to do, be all weepy and ask the big, strong male Starfleet types to save her?