The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Comments & Suggestions > Religion on the Forums.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Admiral

This is not a public forum, this is private property and the owners have the right to make any restrictions they wish. You have the right to stand on the street and say whatever you like, but when you come into my house, you will respect my wishes or find yourself back on the street.

As you say, Saquist, it's a privilege to post here, there is no right to say whatever you wish or discuss whatever you wish....if one insists on doing that, then one might well find himself/herself back out on the "street" that is the internet.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
You're not supposed to be here anyway.
I know Jehovah's Witnesses and they would never be on any forum preaching to people. They discourage association with non JW's and spending large amounts of time on the internet.
Aside from the fact that they come round and knock on people's front doors and try to recruit them. IMHO, one of the truly sinister aspects of JW is that people are discouraged from reading non JW books because they might pick up unhelpful ideas (unhelpful in that they contradict JW doctrine and are provably correct ). Non JW people can talk people into questioning some of the frankly nutty ideas which they're expected to swallow, so contact is discouraged. I speak from experience, sadly large swathes of my family are involved with this nonsense.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Lieutenant Commander

My family members were raised as Catholic, then converted later in life...which may be why they still come to family functions, unless there will be a church involved. But I also have a few friends I made at work who are JW...and they never seemed to have a problem discussing religion with me. We could talk about differences and similarities of beliefs, without arguing; I can't do that with some of my family, so I have a real respect for the JW's I have met. My friends never told me that their community discouraged them from associating with non-members; and they were not trying to convert me, either.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 07-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffs79 View Post
I'd have to agree with Saquist on here. I find religion interesting, and love having mature discussions about it. Sadly, there will be people who start yelling and screaming over it.
Those who would like to omit it from the board though, should be careful. I think it'd be find out first as to whether that practice would be discriminatory. I'm a Christian myself, but I'm not going to ask someone to be quiet because I may diagree with what they have to say. This board contains Star Trek fans who come from a variety of backgrounds and as such, we are a "melting pot" of sorts. This reflects Star Trek's format, in and of itself to respect others in what they believe, in an open arena for discussion.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
Around Easter, being a Christian, I posted a thread asking if anyone else believed in The Rapture. It was taken down almost as soon as it was posted, and I was informed it was against the rules.
I believe in the rapture.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
Aside from the fact that they come round and knock on people's front doors and try to recruit them. IMHO, one of the truly sinister aspects of JW is that people are discouraged from reading non JW books because they might pick up unhelpful ideas (unhelpful in that they contradict JW doctrine and are provably correct ). Non JW people can talk people into questioning some of the frankly nutty ideas which they're expected to swallow, so contact is discouraged. I speak from experience, sadly large swathes of my family are involved with this nonsense.

Sinister? Really?!

Heres what I understand.
They don't do military service.
They're non political.
They don't do self defense measures.
They don't celebrate holidays
And they're always the first into a desaster zone.

Comeon...
Now if you prefer the Crusades and Holly Wars I can understand your aversion.

Mormon's (Propperly called the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints) do two years of preaching work.
Some still practice plural marriage.
They believe in blood atonement.
They also believe in the United Order which is an ideal of equality and self sufficiency.

Mormons seem very benign. I've talked to them many times.
Lets not find reasons to hate people for hates sake.
Or don't do here. This is a very benign thread. People have really gone out of the way to be accomodating.
Whole knows what would happen on the Earth if people were more accomodating.
MAYBE...it would be like the paradise the Federation portrays Earth to be.

Last edited by Saquist : 07-11-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Admiral

I'll just note that this thread has now made the turn that inevitably leads to closure. People are making negative comments about the religion of others. It's only a matter of time before complaints get filed and the thread is closed.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I'll just note that this thread has now made the turn that inevitably leads to closure. People are making negative comments about the religion of others. It's only a matter of time before complaints get filed and the thread is closed.
Personally, I have an idea for the board administrator. Maybe there should be a "red" forum, a special forum specifically set aside for controversial matters such as religion and politics. In that particular forum, perhaps there can be a more harshly enforced set of rules to particularly disallow insults, calling people names, etc. In the meantime, people would be able to tactfully discuss this issue without oppressive influence.

If people on both sides of this conversation would just be considerate and use some tact, I actually believe that these discussions could run very smoothly. Those who would just look to disrespect others, or dislike the subject could just stay away from that board; plain and simple.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post

I know!
It's incedible...try and be civil and someone eventually someone pisses on it. I don't get it.
This is my last post here.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Sinister? Really?!

Heres what I understand.
They don't do military service.
They're non political.
They don't do self defense measures.
They don't celebrate holidays
And they're always the first into a desaster zone.

Comeon...
Now if you prefer the Crusades and Holly Wars I can understand your aversion.

Mormon's (Propperly called the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints) do two years of preaching work.
Some still practice plural marriage.
They believe in blood atonement.
They also believe in the United Order which is an ideal of equality and self sufficiency.

Mormons seem very benign. I've talked to them many times.
Lets not find reasons to hate people for hates sake.
Or don't do here. This is a very benign thread. People have really gone out of the way to be accomodating.
Whole knows what would happen on the Earth if people were more accomodating.
MAYBE...it would be like the paradise the Federation portrays Earth to be.
I have personal experience of certain religious organisations. I posted some details of what I was talking about but I deleted it for these reasons:

It was too personal to post in a public space.
My comments would be offensive to others.

The word "sinister" was chosen quite deliberately in light of my personal experiences but your point is well taken. When people have views ranging from "religion makes no sense" to "I believe Jesus is coming back soon to rule with all the Saints in a new world government for a thousand years" - there is going to be very little common ground between them. If I have been the one to cause the thread closure, I apologise to everyone on here.
However, I understood the thread topic to be "religion on the forum" not "uncritical celebration of my chosen faith"?