The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Comments & Suggestions > Religion on the Forums.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Admiral

I'll certainly share the points...if "spockthecool" was taken, then come up with something else in which his name is spelled correctly. It's bad enough people don't bother to type 2 out of the 3 letters in the word "you" but to misspell such a major character's name in a handle.....argh!

Long ago when I first registered on the SciFi (I guess that's now SyFy) board I wanted to be Pugs, cause I had pugs....taken. So, I tried Pug....taken...I ended up being pugdog. I suppose I could have tried puhgs...but that would have been wrong.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I've always thought the board rules were pretty clear. I've tried to suggest to the new posters that "rally cry" threads are doomed..while "Intelligent discussion of religion" threads thrive...
Unfortunately, though, that doesn't always (or even often) happen without descending into chaos. Intelligent discussion of certain topics, left to some would go okay -- but left to anyone...

*Scratches head at the sheer hopelessness of the world.*

Puhgs... I like that!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Lieutenant Commander

So, I should have refused to leave off the last three letters in my name, and never be able to use it in a handle? I consider that as long as it sounds correct, I really do not care whether a screen name is spelled correctly. I consider screen names to be nicknames; and a nickname can be spelled HOWEVER the person being called that WANTS to spell it. I do, though, think the 'chat speak' is overrated....what's wrong with spelling out a complete word, it really does not take any longer to type it than the 'slang' so many of the kids use on here. On a phone, for a text message, sure...but there you just do not have enough room for complete words. On a board like this, though, you do...so type it out all the way, makes it much easier to read.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Captain

Around Easter, being a Christian, I posted a thread asking if anyone else believed in The Rapture. It was taken down almost as soon as it was posted, and I was informed it was against the rules.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Lieutenant

I think if they dont want religon on here its fine its there thing i like it but i cant do anything about it
Old 07-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

You're not supposed to be here anyway.
I know Jehovah's Witnesses and they would never be on any forum preaching to people. They discourage association with non JW's and spending large amounts of time on the internet.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Not true; my aunt is a JW...she spends more time on the internet than I do. And as long as the gathering is not religious, she hangs out with everyone...when my Mom died, she did not go to the church service...but did attend the graveside one. My older Uncle, also a JW, did the same...even though the rest of the family tried to make a big deal out of it, my Dad and I told them to knock it off...at least they were there for us, they just did it in a way that kept with their beliefs. I personnaly do not hold with some of their ways...but I have nothing against how they choose to live their lives. They are Happy, which is what is important to me.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!

Last edited by FranCat : 07-10-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Fran, you can spell your name any way you like. It's not at all like misspelling a major character's name.

Religion has been discussed here from the beginning but it's been discussed within the context of Science Fiction in general and Star Trek in particular. Threads about a particular religion do not seem to be allowed.

There are plenty of places to discuss any subject you wish to discuss on the internet. It's not a burden for a board to have some restrictions. I know boards where the only thing you are allowed to discuss is chameleons. That is not a restriction on freedom of speech, it is a focus of interest. I can go somewhere else to discuss the frog.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 07-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCat View Post
Not true; my aunt is a JW...she spends more time on the internet than I do. And as long as the gathering is not religious, she hangs out with everyone...when my Mom died, she did not go to the church service...but did attend the graveside one. My older Uncle, also a JW, did the same...even though the rest of the family tried to make a big deal out of it, my Dad and I told them to knock it off...at least they were there for us, they just did it in a way that kept with their beliefs. I personnaly do not hold with some of their ways...but I have nothing against how they choose to live their lives. They are Happy, which is what is important to me.
It is a matter of rule that JW's don't enter other churches but often exceptions are made for certain ceromonies. They are quite known for not making friends of the "world" because they are considered bad association, sometimes family does fit under that unbrella but it is a matter of an individuals conscience choice. It is not regulated by rules. So you wouldn't find a real JW who takes it seriously on the internet preaching.

What was that movie quote? I'm not sure where it's from.
"Sometimes the very young do not always do what they are supposed to."

All I know is that JW's as a rule are some of the nicest people I've ever met, consistently.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Fran, you can spell your name any way you like. It's not at all like misspelling a major character's name.

Religion has been discussed here from the beginning but it's been discussed within the context of Science Fiction in general and Star Trek in particular. Threads about a particular religion do not seem to be allowed.

There are plenty of places to discuss any subject you wish to discuss on the internet. It's not a burden for a board to have some restrictions. I know boards where the only thing you are allowed to discuss is chameleons. That is not a restriction on freedom of speech, it is a focus of interest. I can go somewhere else to discuss the frog.
It is a restriction of freedom of speech.
Freedom of speech is a right.
So you must ask yourself...Is being on this forum a right or a privilege?
I believe it's a privilege. So, yes, if you wish to speak about religion specificly in a topical manner then a religious Forum would be the right place. I wouldn't recommend going to one (EVER).

While Star Trek has been a sounding board for real word issues.
I have to say I come here and enjoy trek because ...it's just a little better than real life. Why would I want to spoil that?

Last edited by Saquist : 07-10-2009 at 08:44 PM.