The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What would Gene think?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
To decry the pursuit of profit by a film studio is to deny the very nature of Hollywood.
Though making profit is no excuse for anything.

Michelangelo also made a lot of his art on commission, to earn money with it. And so did most great artists in the past and nowadays.
Art and proift don't need to exclude each other, at least when u are talented and ingenious enough to make it entertaining/profitable & intelligent.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkie View Post

Michelangelo also made a lot of his art on commission, to earn money with it. And so did most great artists in the past and nowadays.
Art and proift don't need to exclude each other, at least when u are talented and ingenious enough to make it entertaining/profitable & intelligent.
funny thing about "art."

it's entirely subjective.

you know how everyone views the plays "Hamlet" and "Romeo & Juliet" as high-brow art?

would it surprise you to learn that the goal behind writing them wasn't for the upper-crust intellectuals?

they were written for the unwashed masses of yesteryear.

the same unwashed masses whose modern descendants watch "Survivor" and "American Idol" and who think Brittany Spears should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

that's art for you.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Commander

American Idol probably isn't the right analogy for Shakespeare.
A movie probably would be the better analogy, because a cinema is like the modern version of a theatre.
And in these cinemas there are good Hollywood movies and bad Hollywood movies.
Just as there were good theatre plays and bad ones in the past.

Of course Shakespeare and every playwrighter belongs into the category artist, who wanted to sell his plays for profit.

As I said: Profit and art isn't an opposite.

And art of course needn't to be made for the "upper-crust intellectuals". A well made TV serie can be art, too, even though it is for the "unwashed masses".
On the other hand I still can demand a few standards, demand that it actually is well made. Dumb entertainment isn't entertaining at all, but just boring, everything I don't need to think bores me.

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 07-06-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
American Idol probably isn't the right analogy for Shakespeare.
A movie probably would be the better analogy, because cinemas are like modern versions of theatres.
And in these cinemas there are good Hollywood movies and bad Hollywood movies.
Just as there were good theatre plays and bad ones.

Of course Shakespeare and every playwrighter belongs into the category artist, who wanted to sell his plays for profit.

As I said: Profit and art isn't an opposite.

And art of course needn't to be made for the "upper-crust intellectuals". A well made TV serie can be art, too, even though it is for the unwashed masses.
On the other hand I still can demand a few standards, that it actually is well made. Dumb entertainment isn't entertaining at all, but just boring, everything I don't need to think bores me.
yes, but it's that "dump entertainment" from way back when that is being viewed as "art" today.

and 200 years from now, kids will be studying the great "Classics" like "Star Trek XI" and "Transformers" and "Terminator Salvation," which will be put upon a high-society pedestal as "art," while things I can yet to even fathom will be "entertainment" and "mass-media"
Old 07-06-2009, 02:31 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGeekKing View Post
yes, but it's that "dump entertainment" from way back when that is being viewed as "art" today.
Yes it was entertainment, no it wasn't dumb

Quote:
and 200 years from now, kids will be studying the great "Classics" like "Star Trek XI" and "Transformers" and "Terminator Salvation," which will be put upon a high-society pedestal as "art," while things I can yet to even fathom will be "entertainment" and "mass-media"
Nope.

Great things, that are considered art 200 years later, mostly are products that do anything "revolutionary"/innovative, in a new kind of way nobody has done it before, or brake with existing rules or taboos.

They probably will remember "Star Wars", because Star Wars was revolutionary for the technical production of movies and was the root or one of the roots of the word "blockbuster".
They probably will remember "Blade Runner", because it created cyberpunk, a whole new genre.
Maybe they remember Terminator as a whole or especially 1 & 2, but not "Terminater Salvation" alone. Because Salvation isn't innovative/special enough.
Maybe they remember the movie that started with all the Prequels and Reboots, but not every single Prequel/Reboot.
Maybe they will remember Star Trek as a whole, because it had such a huge influence on Scifi.

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 07-06-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Great things, that are considered art 200 years later, mostly are products that do anything "revolutionary"/innovative, in a new kind of way nobody has done it before, or brake with existing rules or taboos.
Sometimes things are remembered 200 years later because people just go on liking them. Star Trek and James Bond, may be examples of this tendency of things people enjoy to just...hang around. Sometimes history finds hidden worth in art which was disregarded at the time, but oftentimes a thing just keeps speaking to people down the ages. Frequently, worthy and ground-breaking art vanishes without trace while trivial or derivative art endures. You know what? That's ok by me.

Last edited by Scribbler : 07-06-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:

Micheleango is not the same as the CEO's of a Hollywood studio with a remit to deliver profitable motion pictures to help market share and company value.

courtesy of Saquist