The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek Shot in 70mm?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Braxus is right.

I think with any movie George Lucas doesn't make, real people are shot on film (heck, George might even do it). It's a fact that there are not enough digital theaters in the country to support an all digital release and it's easy to make a digital file from a filmed original. Going the other direction: digital to film, I don't know about. I know it's done because that's what Industrial Lights and Magic does, but whether it's as simple a process as going film to digital, I don't know.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Midshipman

Its common to dupe over video to film. It still looks like video though. Even today Im not a fan of digital fx space ships because to me they NEVER looked as good as the models did on film. They still looked off by comparison, as fake as digital makes them look. The coloring and sharpness especially. I've seen the IMAX feature Special Effects, and that Star Wars openning shot with the Star Destroyer and Rebel ship shot on IMAX is something to believe to be seen. I understand the technical difficulty and cost to do such FX works on IMAX, but has NO ONE got the gusto these days to do even ONE film in the format (IMAX)? It makes me think only bean counters are running the film business these days. IMAX is expensive, but the result is well worth the effort. Since when did "good enough" become the best we can get? Why not push the envelope, take a risk, and do something extraordinary. Thats what 70mm was about to begin with. It got people back into theaters when tv was threatening attendance.

Last edited by braxus : 03-07-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBlue98 View Post
While you're right about most movies being done in 35mm, I wouldn't expect JJ to be shooting in that format for this movie, just because he's taking the whole "new" tack here—updating the movie for the 21st century.

Also, I think you're dead on when you talk about IMAX. That format isn't very likely, either, and I'd bet that the movie never will show up in that format in the first place, because IMAX lacks widescreen.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's probably shooting 4-4-4 at either 2K or 4K, and if he's really going for the gusto with the whole "updated for the 21st century" thing, he'll be using Red Cameras.
And the thought of seeing that in DLP just makes me even more excited.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Midshipman

IMAX is a widescreen format, its just has more heighth. Also many Hollywood movies duped over to IMAX using DMR are kept letterboxed, so the benefit of showing on an IMAX screen is still there.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Fleet Admiral

I haven't heard anything about TREK being shot digitally so far, and can't seem to research anything which specifies how it's being produced.

I'd agree that the description of a large camera makes digital an unlikely candidate... until better info arrives, at least. Then again, I doubt it's being shot in 70mm either.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Rear Admiral

Well, that large camera he was talking about could have been used to shoot a single shot. It may have been similar to what they used to shoot the ENT-D for Generations, just a long lens setup.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Video tends to look flat...an epoch ago, when I took film making, the requirements for lighting were radically different for film vs. video...video was simply 2 camera angles, 45 degrees apart...film? A gazillion angles and we had to worry about the light coming from the lamps in the scene (not so in video). The result was that filmed work looked rich and deep, video work looked flat. But, experimentation proved that no amount of tweaking the video lighting would make it look good...it would just get weirder.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!