The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Is Trek the WalMart of Science Fiction?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Gah! No! WalMart represents all that is wrong with our consumer-based society.

But.....but......who wouldn't wanna buy a three pack DVD set with three copies of TimeCop for 20 bucks? I mean....that's a deal.....right?

:P

Old 06-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Actually, Sci-Fi other than Trek is doing just fine. Go to a honest-to-God bookstore...(Barnes and Noble, among others); you will find that the Sci-Fi section is the biggest, except for the clearance shelves. My Dad and I go at least once a month, and I am always finding new books by great new authors, which bear no resemblance to Trek. I usually give up in frustration, because I cannot decide what to get. there are too many choices. And any one of these new series of stories by these new authors would make great Tv...quite a few are in negotiation, right now, in fact. Yes, most new Sci-Fi shows that will make it to the screen will, due to nervous studio execs, tend to get Trekified in the process...but I have great hopes that some of these new writers will hold out for creative control, and manage to not sell out. when that happens, we will start seeing loads of new shows just as good as Trek, BSG, Firefly, and such...but they will not be so cookie cutter as to only get 'cult' Status.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!

Last edited by FranCat : 06-29-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Lieutenant

It has been my experience that I have to hunt for Star Trek books in a bookstore. There might be anywhere from 6 to a couple dozen ST books, if I'm lucky. Star Wars, however, usually gets several rows.

As for ST ruining science fiction, I don't agree. To me, the popularity of fantasy has taken away a great deal from sci fi. I was in Borders just a few days ago (there were 14 ST books on the shelf and several were multiples, only 3 were TOS.....Star Wars had 3 1/2 shelves of books) I was looking for something new to read that was science fiction, but the majority of the books were fantasy. Magic, LOTR-looking stuff, wizards, and vampires.

I really don't think Star Trek books are popular enough to have that big of an influence. For the most part, the stories are not that great quality. There are some well written ST books, but most are mediocre. However, I do think Star Trek has definitely influenced our culture and, in turn, science fiction. But, not for bad- just helped popularize it.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I never have to hunt for Star Trek at my local bookstore...our Barnes and Noble has way more Star Trek than Star Wars. some of the Trek books are not with the rest, because some of the kids who put the books on the shelves don't care whether they are Trek or not; they put them under the authors, so they don't have to take twice as long. but I have figured out their system, so I know just where to go.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Trekkie,

Exactly my point! Trek has become the 800 pound gorilla in the room! Every other science fiction TV series has to set itself apart somehow... and, although we've had some major winners out there, (Farscape, Firefly, B-5) None of them have really risen above having more than a cultish following. I hate to admit it, but the only show to REALLY push the envelope, in terms of storytelling, was the new BSG! (...and that was because it had the guts to set itself up as an allagory to the Bush/Iraq debacle.)
Even BSG is strongly influenced by Star Trek.
But that isn't surprising, it's producent was one of the big Star Trek autors.

Something absolutely different you maybe could find in British Scifi like Dr. Who.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCat View Post
I never have to hunt for Star Trek at my local bookstore...our Barnes and Noble has way more Star Trek than Star Wars. some of the Trek books are not with the rest, because some of the kids who put the books on the shelves don't care whether they are Trek or not; they put them under the authors, so they don't have to take twice as long. but I have figured out their system, so I know just where to go.
Wow- maybe it's just where I live, then.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I go to a used book and CD store quite a bit, they keep a pretty good Trek selection there. I bought the entire New Earth collection for $18. Sometimes you'll even run across something a little on the rare side.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Trek has the theme of "Far Trevelling." But there are plenty of other themes in science fiction that have not been explored, or are being outright ignored, by TV because Trek is basically showing the marketplace that the only successful form of science fiction is something like Trek itself. It's gotta be a "space western" with shoot 'em ups, stoic aliens instead of stoic native Americans, space stations instead of Dodge City...

Frankly, you could say that Trek is more of a TV tradition than it is of science fiction. It's roots really go back to stuff like Space Patrol or Tom Corbett, or Captain Video than to literary SF. Where the science really isn't all that important, but the character and the action is.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Commander

Actually Star Trek almost became something like a own sub-Genre within the Science Fiction Genre.

Watching Star Trek you have episodes/movies that overlap with many other Genres (comedy, horror (FC), fantasy (Prophets vs. Pah Wraith), drama, sometimes real science (Hard-Scifi), mostly Soft-Scifi, bright utopia (better future without poverty), but also dark scenarios (Dominion War with its moral dilemmas), (Space) Western, on the other hand dialog- and top-heavy episodes, techophil underlying message (social revolution on the basis of technological improvements), but also a mirror for technophobic fears (Borg)...)

Star Trek can be everything, everything can be placed in the Star Trek universe, which is - in my opinion - one of the reasons Star Trek can continue and continue and continue without reaching an clear end (like B5 did).

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 06-30-2009 at 08:36 AM.