The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > VIRTUALITY Talk-Possible Spoilers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Commander

Default VIRTUALITY Talk-Possible Spoilers

I'm creating this thread to discuss the 2-hour pilot/TV movie VIRTUALITY, that just aired on Fox tonight in the United States. So far, it hasn't posted on the Virtuality website, but that may come in the next few days. I'd like to hear your thoughts about it, if you saw it.

I have mixed feelings about it myself. It's very much a character driven show, so if you don't connect with or like the characters, you won't like or care about the show. That's my biggest problem. The show has a few characters i care nothing about, and a few i absolutely dislike. The most likeable character is the Captain, IMO. I also kind of like the psychatrist/reality show producer Dr. Fallon and Dr. Braun, who is not a medical doctor, but something like the ship's engineer. Sienna Guillory who is the psych's wife, Captain's love interest and ship's exobiologist is very hot.

Except for what goes on in the Virtual reality modules, the show just seems to be about typical character conflicts, which is a problem. If the Virtual realities of the show are more important than what is actually happening on the ship, why have the show take place a ship to begin with? I know. To add tension and character conflicts, of course. Which seems to be the subplot of the show.

I'm calling it a show, but it hasn't been greenlit as a series yet. It is only a potential pilot or stand alone TV movie. As a movie, it doesn't work very well because nothing is resolved at its end. Actually, things just start to get interesting near the end. Alot of things are left open. I don't blame Moore/Taylor for this, since it was Fox's last minute decision to promote the pilot as a TV movie, instead of what it was intended to be, which is, a pilot for a series. It works well as one. But i'm just not sure i'd watch it on a regular basis if it was a show. But i would certainly tune into the first few episodes to see where its going as a show, and to get some resolution on what the pilot/TV movie set into motion.

Last edited by chator : 06-26-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:17 AM
Commander

I didn't read your post for fear of spoilers, but I do want to know this: is some of the crew trapped in their virtual world??
Old 06-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Commander

Yes and no. There are glitches that aren't really glitches that take place during each of the crew members' time in their own virtual world that momentarily trap them. The idea is that someone onboard, or perhaps the computer itself (Hal anyone?) is hacking into the crew member's personal fantasies.