The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Favourite Scenes that involved Kirk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Vice Admiral

Default Favourite Scenes that involved Kirk

Post what are your favourite scenes that involved Kirk and why

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Lieutenant

Last scene of the movie, where Pine made a concerted effort to give it the Bill Shatner treatement.

Not my favorite scene mind you, just my favorite Pine focused scene.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Lieutenant Commander

When Spock Prime tells him he must make young Spock show emotion. When he tells Kirk how emotional he is about losing his home. You could see Kirk's concern for his crew in Pine's face. That is when Kirk became Kirk for me. He became a captain who cared for his crew. Even a crewmembers he initally disliked. Then, what really was icing on the cake was when he and Spock work together to defeat Nero. That felt so good. All the pieces were in place.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
When Spock Prime tells him he must make young Spock show emotion. When he tells Kirk how emotional he is about losing his home. You could see Kirk's concern for his crew in Pine's face. That is when Kirk became Kirk for me. He became a captain who cared for his crew. Even a crewmembers he initally disliked. Then, what really was icing on the cake was when he and Spock work together to defeat Nero. That felt so good. All the pieces were in place.
I thought that was an important scene as well. Kirk clearly didn't want to compromise young Spock, even though he didn't get along with him. There was compassion and strength in those scenes with Spock Prime. In fact, their scenes together were among my favorites because Kirk seemed to lower his guard (and his cockiness) around Spock Prime. It's as if the mask came off for a bit.

In further response to the thread, there were so many great Kirk scenes:
  • Loved the introduction of his character. When he leaned in towards the bar from behind the alien, your eyes just locked onto him, and I'm not just talking about his good looks. I mean, you were immediately drawn to his character. I loved his interaction with "cupcake," and his scenes with Captain Pike were excellent. I liked the father/mentor vibe from that scene, and I hope that the sequel continues in that vein with their relationship.
  • The entire scene between Kirk and Bones was wonderful. The chemistry between Pine and Urban was phenomenal, and it really helped to solidify to the audience that these two guys are true friends. The comedic timing between them was also great.
  • I loved the first scenes between Kirk and Spock during the hearing. I liked the animosity between them, but it was also the first time that I saw Kirk get caught off guard when Spock mentions his father. It's clearly an open wound for Kirk, and it was just a great scene with those two sparring.
  • I thought the scene between Kirk, Pike, and Spock on the bridge was the first moment when you see Kirk's competence as a future captain really come to light. He gives a focused and compelling argument to everyone who questions him about his theory that they are flying into a trap. He never deviated from that conviction, and it sold Pike.
  • Loved every. single. scene with Spock Prime. Their first meeting, when Kirk asks Spock about his father, and when they do the mind meld and Kirk's emotional reaction afterward. Loved it all.
  • I also really liked that Kirk formed a friendship of sorts with Scotty. I think Pine had chemistry with every actor he had a scene with, frankly.
  • The confrontation between Kirk and Spock on the bridge towards the end was one of the high points, and when Kirk takes his seat for the first time as Captain, it's just a great moment. I also liked how he was uncertain when he addressed Uhura, rather than being arrogant and saying "Don't question me." Even though he may have had his doubts about going after Nero, you never heard it in his voice when he addressed the crew for the first time as Captain. He was confident and matter-of-fact. I also liked how he told Sulu to take out the Nerada if there was a tactical advantage rather than trying to save him or Spock. That confidence is essential in Captain Kirk.
The scenes that screamed Captain Kirk to me were two-fold:

1. When Kirk first comes through the doors of the bridge after rescuing Pike and being beamed back aboard the Enterprise with Spock. Even though he's still in the black tunic, when he comes onto the bridge, his crew is beaming at him because they did succeed in saving Earth, damaging the Nerada, and rescuing Pike, and Kirk is very confident when he says "Hail them now." I loved how Pine played that scene. He's truly "Captain" in that moment.

2. Of course, the last scene of Star Trek, when he comes aboard in the gold Captain's tunic, is not just a Captain Kirk moment, but a Shatner moment. The smirk on his face and the way he said "Bones?" put a smile on everyone's face. When he sat in the chair and crossed his legs, it felt like everything had fallen into place. I actually forgot that Spock wasn't even on the bridge until he stepped out of the elevator. I liked the newfound respect the characters had for each other, and that by the time the movie ended, all the characters were where they were suppose to be in terms of their destiny.

Since the Kirk character was the dominate character in the movie, meaning he had the most scenes and interactions with other characters, it was important that Pine really sell his performance, and he did it in spades. I can't really state one single boring scene in the entire movie that involved the character of Kirk (except maybe the car scene). All the Kirk scenes were great. Frankly, there wasn't a boring scene in the entire movie with any character.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxum View Post
I thought that was an important scene as well. Kirk clearly didn't want to compromise young Spock, even though he didn't get along with him. There was compassion and strength in those scenes with Spock Prime. In fact, their scenes together were among my favorites because Kirk seemed to lower his guard (and his cockiness) around Spock Prime. It's as if the mask came off for a bit.

In further response to the thread, there were so many great Kirk scenes:
  • Loved the introduction of his character. When he leaned in towards the bar from behind the alien, your eyes just locked onto him, and I'm not just talking about his good looks. I mean, you were immediately drawn to his character. I loved his interaction with "cupcake," and his scenes with Captain Pike were excellent. I liked the father/mentor vibe from that scene, and I hope that the sequel continues in that vein with their relationship.
  • The entire scene between Kirk and Bones was wonderful. The chemistry between Pine and Urban was phenomenal, and it really helped to solidify to the audience that these two guys are true friends. The comedic timing between them was also great.
  • I loved the first scenes between Kirk and Spock during the hearing. I liked the animosity between them, but it was also the first time that I saw Kirk get caught off guard when Spock mentions his father. It's clearly an open wound for Kirk, and it was just a great scene with those two sparring.
  • I thought the scene between Kirk, Pike, and Spock on the bridge was the first moment when you see Kirk's competence as a future captain really come to light. He gives a focused and compelling argument to everyone who questions him about his theory that they are flying into a trap. He never deviated from that conviction, and it sold Pike.
  • Loved every. single. scene with Spock Prime. Their first meeting, when Kirk asks Spock about his father, and when they do the mind meld and Kirk's emotional reaction afterward. Loved it all.
  • I also really liked that Kirk formed a friendship of sorts with Scotty. I think Pine had chemistry with every actor he had a scene with, frankly.
  • The confrontation between Kirk and Spock on the bridge towards the end was one of the high points, and when Kirk takes his seat for the first time as Captain, it's just a great moment. I also liked how he was uncertain when he addressed Uhura, rather than being arrogant and saying "Don't question me." Even though he may have had his doubts about going after Nero, you never heard it in his voice when he addressed the crew for the first time as Captain. He was confident and matter-of-fact. I also liked how he told Sulu to take out the Nerada if there was a tactical advantage rather than trying to save him or Spock. That confidence is essential in Captain Kirk.
The scenes that screamed Captain Kirk to me were two-fold:

1. When Kirk first comes through the doors of the bridge after rescuing Pike and being beamed back aboard the Enterprise with Spock. Even though he's still in the black tunic, when he comes onto the bridge, his crew is beaming at him because they did succeed in saving Earth, damaging the Nerada, and rescuing Pike, and Kirk is very confident when he says "Hail them now." I loved how Pine played that scene. He's truly "Captain" in that moment.

2. Of course, the last scene of Star Trek, when he comes aboard in the gold Captain's tunic, is not just a Captain Kirk moment, but a Shatner moment. The smirk on his face and the way he said "Bones?" put a smile on everyone's face. When he sat in the chair and crossed his legs, it felt like everything had fallen into place. I actually forgot that Spock wasn't even on the bridge until he stepped out of the elevator. I liked the newfound respect the characters had for each other, and that by the time the movie ended, all the characters were where they were suppose to be in terms of their destiny.

Since the Kirk character was the dominate character in the movie, meaning he had the most scenes and interactions with other characters, it was important that Pine really sell his performance, and he did it in spades. I can't really state one single boring scene in the entire movie that involved the character of Kirk (except maybe the car scene). All the Kirk scenes were great. Frankly, there wasn't a boring scene in the entire movie with any character.

I agree completely. You're right about Kirk lowering his guard around Spock Prime. Especially after the mind meld. He knew this man truly cared for him. One reason I absolutely LOVED ST09 is that again and again we saw older men stepping up and mentoring younger men. This is an inspiration for real life. The kindness and passing of wisdom from one generation to the next. I hope this is a theme that stays in future Star Trek movies. So many action films make fun of older people. They exsist only for comic relief or as victims.

I would LOVE to see some older wise women in the next movie. Maybe they'll put T'Pau into the next movie. That would be heaven.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjopbj View Post
I agree completely. You're right about Kirk lowering his guard around Spock Prime. Especially after the mind meld. He knew this man truly cared for him.
Yeah, I think Kirk's attitude towards Spock, in general, changed after meeting Spock Prime. Before that, I think Kirk felt that Spock was a heartless ***. However, after the mindmeld, Kirk realized that Spock has very deep emotions, as Kirk was flooded with grief and pain after the mindmeld. He even said to Spock Prime "So you do feel." That was a revelation to Kirk, and he realized that the young Spock was putting up a front, much like Kirk, and that the Vulcan was capable of real emotion.

Quote:
The kindness and passing of wisdom from one generation to the next. I hope this is a theme that stays in future Star Trek movies.
I hope so too. I really love the dynamic between Kirk and Captain Pike, and since that relationship is already established in the new timeline, I hope the writers build on it in the next film.